Topic

Sawtooth Wilderness Loop Mid July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sawtooth Wilderness Loop Mid July

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Oh wow, what a bummer! It wasn’t nearly that bad at Cramer Lakes. On the 10th we departed the Flytrip Basin area and went past Ardeth Lake, over Ardeth Lake trail to Vernon then up and over Cramer Divide. The divide was blowing winter mix but nothing too bad. I should note that I live in the mountains so my definition of “not bad” may be different than what others are comfortable with but visibility was sufficient to be safe and it was mid to high 30’s. We descended to Cramer Lakes and it really cut loose on us right as we were searching for a site. We setup in the snow and it pretty much snowed all night but was right around freezing so didn’t accumulate much right by the lakes, maybe 3″ by morning as it was snow rain mix so kept the accumulation down. It was a touch colder away from the lakes but at 8,500 I doubt it got colder than 28-ish as I was totally find in my 30 degree bag. We made an emergency plan just in case the pass from Alpine to Baron was snowed but by the time we got there on the 11th is was about 70 degrees and absolutely perfect. We left Baron on the 12th and it was beautiful, would have loved to have stayed another couple days.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

For the Sawtooths  experts out there, thoughts on June in the sawtooths? Too early? I’ve only been once and it was the first week of July in 2013 and PERFECT. No mosquitoes, great temps (highs between 50F and 65F), all the passes were 100% clear, had one storm blow through but that just added to the fun.

Honestly, I’m not nearly as concerned about snow free passes as I am the bugs. I have a fairly low tolerance for them. Obviously going late in the year is best for bug free but unfortunately getting time off for me in Aug and Sept is all but impossible.

Thoughts on snowy passes using microspikes?

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Eric: as a general statement, I’d say that June is too early for anyone that has to fly in. But as you are in driving range, I’d go for it if it’s late in the month and it looks clear-ish. Last summer we were there the 2nd week of July and had the same exact conditions you mention. Interestingly, the reports the week before all warned of closed passes so we thought we’d be post-holing for hours but there was absolutely none other than what fell on us one afternoon/night. We even called the ranger station the day before we left and they didn’t have an accurate description of what we saw when we were up.
    Keep an eye on the reports and if it’s not too deep of a snow year and/or not too cold of a May, I’d risk it. Heck, even if there is still a good bit of snow I’d bring some UL snowshoes and have a great time!

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Colin: I like the way you think. We called the ranger station the day before we left and were told that there was too much snow at the passes for “it to be safe” and that we should wait at least a week or two. As I mentioned the conditions turned out to be perfect and snow wasn’t an issue even on the highest passes. It makes me wonder if the Rangers actually get out much and how up to date their information really is.

The thought of being on the trails with less traffic and beating the bugs is very appealing to me. From what I can gather it seems like mid-July is when the bugs start to really hit and by the end of the month and early August they can be nasty. I’m going to target somewhere between June 19th and the first week in July and just play it by ear.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Eric: I think you will be fine with those dates. That second week of July we had a lot of mosquitoes our first night at Elk lake but as soon as we got up higher it was much better. Last summer was the worst mosquitoes I’ve seen in Oregon (and several backcountry) rangers said the same to me here so I totally get your motivation! I’m going to be doing 1/2 of Oregon and all of Washington on the PCT next summer (trying for 20 days) and want to be back in time for the full eclipse in Oregon. Problem is that puts me right in bug season an with the mileage I’d be pushing I’d hate to also have to battle bugs. Might risk going later…
    It really was odd the rangers were saying the passes were going to be an issue then we go and there was absolutely zero snow other than a tiny bit hiding in shadows on the highest peaks. I think the backcountry rangers and the people that answer the phone don’t communicate too often!

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Ok, I want to address a couple of items here, and it should help everyone in the future I hope!

First, with regards to getting around in the backcountry. (Sorry, like Kevin, I live here and I call it the backcountry, cuz its home turf.) Go online and search out the Stanley Web Cam. This view is looking right at Thompson Peak, Williams, etc. and will show you VISUALLY what you will experience on your hike! What you see in that pic is ultimately the overall sketch of the range in a “snapshot”! So, if the trees are still surrounded by snow, you know what to expect. Only the peaks are white, then prob the passes are almost or are clear. Nothing beats real time data.

Two; and this is some feedback on your proposed route, as this (route) seems to be a go to deal now online. Ok, first, the start at Grandjean is awesome! Remember that you are at the lowest TH in the range. The area from here to Observation, ultimately Sawtooth, Reagen , et al is one of the worst side trips in the range. Sorry to burst your bubble. They are all great spots, if going over from the Stanley side. Otherwise, you are really burning up days, and beating up your bodies HARD for only average stuff as compared to deeper in the range. I am putting all this out with the following caveats; I’ve hiked it all multiple times, and I am framing it based on it being a “destination” hiking trip. Possibly your only long trip of the year. With that in mind, don’t even look at the trailhead and get on to Baron Lakes, catching Kramer and onward. By saving these days you also will be in perfect trail shape, and location to include Toxaway in your loop. With the rest of your route looping back to Grandjean, it will be epic!

Plan on, BUGS. Most stream crossings will be fine. Flat Rock Jct will be fun ;)  Oh, and don’t believe a word from any of the ranger stations early season. They do not give out real time data.

If you have any more questions, let me know. You will have a great time. The range really lends itself to UL hiking

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

Hi all,

Sounds like some great trips.  What is the best map to get for the trips that you have mentioned?  I read another blog that mentioned “Earthwalk Press Sawtooth Wilderness Hiking Map and Guide”.

Thanks!

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

The range is small enough that you could use that map set, or to make it even easier, just print your own from the varied online mapping options.  And there is a tried and true guidebook from Margaret Fuller that is the standard for info.

It is pretty easy to fit on a few pages instead of a larger fold up.

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

Sounds good; thanks Steve.  I use Gaia on my phone but always like having something printed out just in case.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools