Feb 15, 2019 at 7:41 pm #3578672Joseph PenneyBPL Member
I’m planning a 5-7 night trip in the Sawtooth Wilderness Area for summer of 2019. I’ve found resources to assist with my planning, but I’d like some input from folks familiar to the area. All the standard questions you usually get apply:
- Looking to go in July-August time frame. Maybe into early September. What are your thoughts on this timing? Pros? Cons? Recommendations?
- Weather conditions? Rain, temps, storms, etc. I’ve researched as much as I know how to online.
- Right now, I’m planning to tent it, but I’d like hammock hang if allowed and possible. Are there enough adequately spaced and strong trees to make this possible?
- Bug pressure?
- Bear pressure? Should I bring a bear canister? Right now, I’m just planning on bringing a rodent resistant Ursack Minor.
- Anything else you guys can think of?
FWIW, here’s a link to my proposed load out. Feel free to comment and make recommendations.
Thanks in advance for all your assistance.Feb 16, 2019 at 2:09 am #3578751Jay LBPL Member
I did 5 nights there in mid Aug 2017 (we were there for the eclipse). We did a loop from the Tin Cup / Petit Lake trailhead.
- The timing was okay people-wise. There were lots of people but only had one night where everything was full where we wanted to stop. Hiked another 45 minutes and had a great site all to ourselves.
- Weather was absolutely beautiful. I dont recall even a drop of rain and temps were comfortable, day and night.
- I debated on the hammock but went with the tent. Hammock would have been okay.
- Had one evening where I put on my fleece because of the bugs but otherwise none.
- We hung food – no problems finding a tree. We had one site that was very heavily used and had bold mini-bears. Otherwise no animal issues.
- I used a SMD Lunar Duo. No problems finding a spot for a non-freestanding tent
- Several stream crossings – none were difficult or more than knee-deep.
- You didnt mention fishing – we didnt fish but came across a guy at one lake who had done very well.
Here is a GPX of the hike with some campsite notes: https://caltopo.com/m/MB5S
Lots of amazing views, here is my favorite pic from the trip – just to whet your appetite:Feb 16, 2019 at 12:29 pm #3578784Joseph PenneyBPL Member
Thanks for the info!Feb 24, 2019 at 8:22 pm #3580260Steve SBPL Member
shoot me a message, and I will be happy to give you some specific info and ideas…Mar 8, 2019 at 3:20 am #3582387Ian SkeltonBPL Member
@inotleksLocale: Pacific Northwest
I am looking to do a hike with some of my friends in the Sawtooths as well this summer. Looking forward to the fishing. I haven’t done any fishing in that area yet so anyone with some insight (fly, spin, cast,…) that would be appreciated. If anyone else has any more to add to this conversation that would be awesome.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.