Topic

Sawtooth 5-day backpacking trip during the Eclipse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sawtooth 5-day backpacking trip during the Eclipse

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Y
    BPL Member

@danjyates

Hi all, I’ve planned a five day round trip hike into the Sawtooth Wilderness for a group of five this August 18-25. The route can be seen here: https://caltopo.com/m/65TB

We’re planning on:

1. Starting out from the Queens River trailhead near Atlanta, ID
    2. Hiking up the Queens River for two days
    3. Spending the day of the Eclipse (!) at the top of Glen’s peak
    4. Hiking down two days along the Middle Fork of the Boise River.

A couple of questions if you all know this area:

1. Has anyone climbed up Glen’s peak? There isn’t a marked trail but the ridge line looks doable.
    2. Are there good spots to pitch three tents along the Queens River and Middle Fork? I can’t tell if it’s too narrow and steep all along it.
    3. Is it worth it to hoof it up Nanny creek to the lake?

Thanks!

Dan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I did a trip, starting at the Power Plant campground near Atlanta, with a group of friends last year, going in the opposite direction you’re going.

1. One of the group climbed Glens Peak while the rest of us went down to Ardeth Lake to make camp (there’s an open-air pit toilet at Ardeth Lake at the southern end). He said it wasn’t a particularly hard climb, but he did lose his way and had to backtrack at one point on the route he took (since there is no trail that he could see). There’s actually a spot right before you start descending to Ardeth that could accomodate three tents, if I remember correctly.

2. I don’t remember the trail down Queen’s River as being all that narrow, I’d think you should easily find a camping spot along it.

3. Didn’t go up Nanny Creek to the lake, we went to Arrowhead Lake a bit north and on the other side. It was a very long, slow, steep climb to it though (well, followed by a steep descent to the lake after cresting the ridge). A very nice spot.

Also, there’s a very nice public outdoor hot spring near the Power Plant campground. Was wonderful to soak in it after our hike.

If you’re going to the trailhead through Mountain Home and then up Rt. 20, the road to Atlanta is a 20+ mile narrow dirt road, with nice kill-you-if-you-go-over cliffs, to get there. Very dusty road as well, so you’ll end up going quite slow. IOW, it’ll take longer than you might think to get there.

Atlanta is an interesting little town, up in the middle of nowhere. But there is a diner/bar where you can get a nice, tasty burger and a cold beer after your hike.

Daniel Y
    BPL Member

@danjyates

Thanks much Doug! Very helpful. We have been planning on a long ride from Mountain Home… thanks for the warning about dust.

With your recommendation we will definitely partake of the beer and burgers at Beaver Lodge. :-)

Barry B
    BPL Member

@barrycburton

I’m doing a loop from Redfish lake around the same time! Aiming to get as far south as Ardith lake. Any particularly great peaks or lakes I should make sure to see? Also anyone know what the snow cover is like now? Reports from a month ago seemed to indicate the melt was taking longer than usual, but haven’t seen anything since.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools