Topic

RX 100 camera dust protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique RX 100 camera dust protection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

I have a Sony RX 100 that I would like to wear held from a neck strap to maximize camera shot opportunities without taking a lot of time to extract the camera from a case or from my pocket. I’m concerned about dust damaging the camera so would like some kind of bag that I could use to protect the camera without taking much time that would be better spent hiking. If it rains I would store the camera in my pack. Ideas?

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

If you have a sewing machine, stuff sacks are easy to make.  The one on the right is for my Sony WX-350. It weighs 1g.  I just need to put a line and mini chord lock on it like the stuff sack on the left (4g). 

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Thanks Bob. The issue of concern for me is not making or buying a stuff sack but being able to employ it usefully given the fact that the camera will be connected to a strap on both sides. My current plan is to cut an opening in the bottom of the sack for one end of the strap to go through. As an alternative I’ve considered having a “stuff tube” with a cord lock closure on both ends of the tube. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone on the trail use such a system but it seems like it would keep 95% of the dust off the camera when cinched, but easily opened for rapidly capturing a shot.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I had the same question as you and first tried a cheapo case, with a neck strap, that I got off of ebay. I finally settled on the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 camera case. I don’t think this is quite what you were asking for, as you like having a neck strap, but if you’re willing to consider an alternative you might find this effective: Tie a foot long piece of spectra cord between one of the camera strap lugs and the case which allows for some security for the camera as it’s essentially always attached to your body. The case attaches nicely to either my shoulder or sternum straps and is weatherproof enough to weather a short storm. As I hike with the zipper top open, I can deploy and stow the camera very quickly. I don’t worry about dropping it because it’s tied to the case which is attached to my pack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools