Topic

Running Vest Frame Sheet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Running Vest Frame Sheet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Evans
    Spectator

@jee

Hello friends,

I’m currently using an Osprey Duro 6 for longer trail runs, and while I like most features of the pack, the included reservoir, while super convenient is causing me some issues. The hard plastic slider (which makes filling extremely easy) is flared at the ends, and begins to press into my back once the bladder is about 20% empty.

The obvious fix is to get a new bladder with a screw cap, or return and get the Salomon pack I was eyeing, but I’m a tinkerer (and really like the hydrapak ease of use), so I’m thinking of creating a frame sheet out of closed cell foam and sliding it in the bladder compartment.

My major hang up: how do I limit the reduction of airflow created by adding a chunk of foam against my back?

• leave the top (along the bladder slider) solid, and cut air channels into the foam?
    • leave the top solid, and cut air holes into the foam?
    • use something other than ccf?
    • something else?

Any and all ideas appreciate!

Joe

bag: https://www.rei.com/product/141520/osprey-duro-6-running-hydration-vest-phoenix-red

bladder: https://www.rei.com/product/101367/osprey-hydraulics-lt-reservoir-15-liters

R
    Spectator

@autox

The bladder isn’t breathable, so placing a non-breathable layer of material next to it shouldn’t make much difference.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Duro 6 owner here… What are you using the front pockets for?  I’m a recent convert to soft flasks in the front. The 500ml ultra flasks from Hydrapak with the hose extension fits perfectly in the pockets. I realize this doesn’t scratch your tinkerer itch, but it’s a pretty comfortable set up.

If you’re set on the bladder, another option would be to sew a ladder of foam along the backside. You could play with the spacing to get you airflow you want.

Joseph Evans
    Spectator

@jee

@Rene….that is a very good point

@Eddie
    : I’m using front pockets for water as well, when needed. I’ve tried flasks only, bladder only, and I prefer flasks in front, but the route I have planned is going to require both flasks and bladder (or another solution to get to ~2.5L)

R
    Spectator

@autox

Maybe you can start experimenting by zip-tying a small piece of foam pad to the slider.  Once you’ve got the geometry figured out, then you can think about how to get a more permanent integration with the vest – or decide modding the slider is all it takes.

You might also consider modifying the slider itself.  Grind off the part that pokes you.  Add something like Sugru or epoxy to flatten out the flared end, or maybe even 3D print a new one that won’t poke you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools