Topic

Ruby Mountains, Nevada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ruby Mountains, Nevada

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We’re just back from a ten day trip to the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada, with stops at the South Ruby Wildlife Refuge, Angel Lake, and Lamoille Canyon.

What a spectacular area!  We loved the refuge–and lost count of the number of different birds we saw.  Angel Lake (with hikes to Smith Lake and almost to Winchell Lake–gotta read the whole story) was wonderful.

But all of that paled in comparison to Lamoille Canyon and the hikes we took there:  Thomas Creek, Island Lake, and Liberty Pass to Liberty Lake.  Stunning scenery, more beaver ponds than we’d ever seen in our lives, excellent fishing, and did we mention spectacular scenery?

Yep.

This was a treat.  The whole trip report is here:

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/the-ruby-mountains

including a link to way too many photos.  But it was so stunning…

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Great trip you all had. The Ruby Mountains is one of my favorites places to hike and fish.

MojoRisen
    BPL Member

@mojorisen

Locale: I’m a pilot. Almost anywhere!

Just a sidebar about the Ruby’s. I spend a good portion of my summer here flying wildland fires. I have also spent a number of hikes, 14, exploring this range. Some of the best sites are the hardest to get to. I know because I have been humbled by not reaching two lakes that have some of the best fishing. I have come back from them mostly frustrated but also in awe of what taking the hard road brings in growth and lessons learned. I have also seen how much the masses are taking away from the beauty of nature on the road most traveled. And hope that as we go into what’s left of the wild, that our secrets are only shared with a few that understand what’s at stake. I’m truly happy that you got to experience a sliver of what this range has to offer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools