Topic

Route info for Tuolumne Meadows looping thru to the Valley floor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Route info for Tuolumne Meadows looping thru to the Valley floor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

So coming in from the East, (Idaho) and trying to minimize the permit and main starting/finishing points. So my question would be to ask about a loop hike over 5-7 days starting near or at Tuolumne, with the main goal of looping thru to the valley floor, seeing the sites, and then ascending back up and around to our car.  Starting at a non descript TH or whatever, just hoping to make it about the hiking :)

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

edit; I should have added my hiking partner has never seen the Sierra, or Yosemite, and so I’m trying to give a nice tour!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Not quit what you want, but:

Tuolumne to Vogelsang; over Vogelsang pass to the juncture with Triple Divide (I’m not sure what it’s called really). On to Triple divide, following on towards Merced Lake but avoiding that (there’s a great spot on the Merced river a mile or so up from Washburn.) Go past Merced Lake to the junction with Sunrise. Take that trail to Sunrise, or environs. Sunrise can be a zoo by the views are great. continue on to Tuolumne to complete the loop.

The Sunrise trail is not that used. Neither is the high route from Vogelsang pass to triple divide.

dropping down to the Valley floor and then climbing back up to Tuolumne is pretty arduous and doesn’t present the best sights of the backcountry. A route would also be pretty crowded. Likely you’ll be routed in and out on the JMT.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Bear in .and that if you leave the wilderness (such as shopping in the stores or getting food in a restaurant) your permit will be considered finished.  You can only traverse a corner of the valley to continue on your route.  Not stop and see the sights.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools