Topic

Rose Feather Goose Down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rose Feather Goose Down

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    R
    Spectator

@autox

I just received 500g of 950fp from Rose Feather via Amazon.  I paid $70.  That’s about 25% what the stuff normally costs.

Is it any good?  At that price, that is the question.

I found a handful of posts here from folks that had ordered it and said it was pretty good.  And the quality does appear to be pretty good.  Almost no feathers or quills, lots of large down nodules, fewer stray bits of broken nodules.

That was good to see, but I wanted to know if it was actually 950fp, so I built a crude measurement rig, per the US protocol.  Photo below.  It’s a tyvek tube w/ a window made from two layers of clear packing tape.  The base and compression disk are 1/8″ foam core poster board, with coins and batteries added for weight.  It’s crude and fragile, but all my dimensions are w/in 2% of spec., so it should at least be able to confirm a manufacturer’s claim.  The big variable of course is the ‘magic fluff’ process granted by the spec that’s are beyond my means to implement.  Before measuring, I let the sample loft for 24 hours after shipping, and then gave it a few minutes of gentle shaking before the test.

With out the compression disk, the Rose Feather sample measured at 778fp; with compression, 424fp.

In this thread, I did some analysis of similar data (made with better equipment) from a 900fp sample, reported in this thread.  Applying that correction factor, the compressed Rose Feather sample works out to 695fp. That’s a far cry from the claimed 950fp, but it’s still a good price for 700fp.

Feedback welcome from others that have purchased from Rose Feather.

The trickiest parts about making the rig were applying the tape for the window, and securing the base.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I am happy to see this post as I just finished up my first down quilt…so I’m in need of more down and was seriously considering rose feather. I can’t say that I am surprised but I am a little bit disappointed.

How much do you need in order to get an accurate measurement? It would be great if we could get samples of down from different vendors. I used the bulk blend 800/850fp from wilderness logics and would be interested in seeing the resulting fill power, not that I am at all doubting.

Cool setup and ingenuity!

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I love it.  I’ve often wondered about those Amazon feathers.  But the obvious problem is that you need at least one confirmed reference material to ensure this test is even remotely accurate.  And generally measurements should be made in triplicate with the range of values measured given to give an indication of the precision of the measurement.  Again, I love it — but it needs just a little bit more work to be practically useful.

R
    Spectator

@autox

The test protocol only requires one ounce of material.  The other test I referenced was 900fp from Thru-Hiker. I went on at some length in the first thread I linked about what to make of diy measurement results.

It would be great if more folks start measuring the down they receive and sharing the results.

To encourage that, here’s the US test spec:

Measurement cylinder is 241mm diameter (9.48″), compression disk is 68.3g (2.41oz), sample size is 28.3g (1oz).  The cross sectional area of the cylinder is 70.7″, so 1oz of 900fp should fill it to 12.7″.  You want a cylinder at least 24″ tall.

Mine was 36″ which let me flatten, fold and clip the top shut to shake the sample.  The cylinder could be made from butcher paper or wrapping paper, and the base and compression disc could be any sort of cardboard.  It helps if the inside is a dark color, or you at least have a dark, vertical stripe so you can see height of the white feathers.  I taped batteries and coins to the compression disk to get the weight right.  You’ll likely get a bit of down escaping the disk as it sinks.  When you see this, think about the quantities of feathers you put on the scale when measuring your sample – I was moving small hand-fulls at the very end.  In my case, the escaped down was obviously less than .01oz (1% by weight), so it was pretty irrelevant as a source of error.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I made an underquilt with their 850 fp stuff. I used a calculator made by someone on hammock forums. I followed baffle and chamber heights and put in the exact 1.2 oz per chamber that it called for. This was for a 20* rating and the resulting loft was spot on as well as the quilt works at the desired temp. Unscientifically, this has to put it fairly close to its rating so I can say I’m very pleased with it.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Well that’s good to hear.  The problem may be w/ the higher fill power I ordered, it doesn’t even loft to 850.

Any recollection of the overfill in that plan?  My measured fill power is 21% below spec.  If I used 30% overfill, I might not be able to tell my down was under spec by looking at the stuffed baffles.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Here are the specs from my build:

R
    Spectator

@autox

Yup.  Looks like your batch was pretty close to claimed fill power.

I wrote Rose Feather and they’re trying to tell me their fill power claim doesn’t actually mean fill power….

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Hmm, down imported directly from China.  The Amazon reviews are pretty mixed too.  I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that they do not conform to the Responsible Down Standard, which is a pretty big deal to me, being a vegan.  I’m not sure that I would trust their advertising copy either as far as it being washed and hypo-allergenic.  But for those that don’t care about those things or consistent quality and rating, the price is ridiculously low!

R
    Spectator

@autox

950fp from Quest Outfitters lofts to 1166 with just a few minutes of stirring and shaking to break up clumps after removing it from the shipping packaging.  This is much more in line with the expected ~30% over-loft before compression – 23% over in this case.

I’ll update again after it has a full 24 hours to loft, and see how it does w/ the compression disk.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Ok, spec round up:

600fp from an unused bed pillow: free loft, 12% over spec; compressed, 35% under spec

900fp from Thru-Hiker: free loft, 33% over spec; compressed, 39% under spec

950fp from Quest Outfitters: free loft, 27% over spec; compressed, 29% under spec

“950fp” from Rose Feather: free loft 18% *under* spec; compressed, 55% under spec (this measures like 650fp)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools