Topic

Roll top bags other than DCF?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Roll top bags other than DCF?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I have been using some dcf roll top bags 4-8L to store various items but have gotten lots of holes from friction. Anyone know of a more durable roll top type bag with similar weight?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah DCF can’t really handle the torsion at the roll top – particularly if you roll it tight. It eventually delaminates in that area.

Sea to Summit has their Ultra-Sil Nano dry sacks that are a 15D silnylon rather than their usual 30D silnylon (used for the regular Ultra-Sil bags). At 19-24g (0.7-0.9oz) for 4-8L they are a bit heavier than DCF. I did accidentally rip one once stuffing a sleeping bag a bit too hard, but with a more gentle touch they’d last a long time. Usually I take the 6g penalty and buy their 30D nylon ones, but the 15D is a viable option.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have both of the STS bags that Dan mentions and agree that the Nano is a bit fragile. Perhaps more importantly I have found them to also not be entirely waterproof.  I’m not sure why but I have had them leak for no discernible (no obvious physical damage or failure to close properly) reason. I am retiring the Nanos for everything except my tent storage bag, which gets packed on the outside of the pack anyway.  The Nanos are however quite slippery and easy to fill.  The slightly heavier Ultra-Sils have been bomber.

For super lightweight organization I prefer to pack things in the STS mesh bags then everything goes in one large pack liner (Exped schnozzel). The mesh bags stretch, compact in the pack and the contents are easily seen.  Half the weight of the Nano dry bags, and no sign of damage after 5 or more years of use.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Another Sea To Summit user here (30D version).

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I’ve also had good luck with the STS bags, both nano and regular ultra-sil. I have not experienced a leak with either, although TBH I haven’t deliberately tried to test them. I ripped a nano bag once while stuffing my quilt inside. Since then I’ve been more careful with them, but I am definitely continuing to use them.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks for the input. I will look at the STS bags.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools