Topic

RockTape vs Loukotape P

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) RockTape vs Loukotape P

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have been using Loukotape P for years but recently saw a new brand of tape for blisters called Rock Tape.  Has anyone used this tape?  I do like the fact that it has a backing and thus would be easier to carry on trips.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“I do like the fact that it has a backing and thus would be easier to carry on trips.”

That is exactly why I gave it a try.

From Rock Tape – “Through elastic properties and quick recoil, RockTape….”

So like many “sport tapes” it has a stretch bias.  For blisters that may be useful because it will conform well. However, the thinness and tenacity of Leukotape accomplishes the same thing well enough, in my experience. I also found that “sport tape” doesn’t hold up as well on my heel.  Leukotape is usually there a week after I get home.

Second, I take Leokotape for repairs, usually poles, and occasionally other rigid stuff.  The bias in “sport tape” greatly reduces its functionality for this purpose.

So for me, been there, done that.  I carry Leukotape.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I put strips of loukotape on thin stiff plastic for ease of use in the field.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Leukotape on any sticker release paper is much easier to deal with than the rolls:

Here I’ve rounded the corners at home so I don’t have to do it in the field.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I carry both. I have leukotape wrapped around my trekking poles, has always worked fine – stay sticky. I’ve also used rocktape when I had a blister starting on my heel. The trick is to clean the area first with alcohol or some such, then it sticks great. I’ve hiked with it on for days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools