Topic

Robic 210D or HyperD 300 for pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Robic 210D or HyperD 300 for pack?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here, but I’ve been lurking for a while and appreciate all the information and experience that is so generously shared.

I’m about to embark on constructing my first pack, using the Stitchback Gear Metamorph pattern. I ordered a bunch of samples from RBTR and the ones that I’m gravitating to the most are their Robic 210D and HyperD 300. The Robic 100D seemed to lightweight and the Robic 420D seemed more robust than I need.

I’m shooting for lightweight, but it doesn’t have to be UL. I expect the pack will mostly see trail miles and easy off-trail stuff rather than a lot of bushwacking through thick vegetation or being hauled up rock faces. I’m fairly new to sewing, so ease of sewing is a consideration. Cost is also a consideration: I want to get a few builds under my belt before paying a lot for fabrics.

I’m curious whether folks have opinions on the suitability of Robic 210D and/or HyperD 300 for my project, given what I’ve said above. Which would you choose? Or, neither? What are the tradeoffs or things I might not be taking into consideration? I’d also open to considering other fabrics, as long as they are relatively easy to work with and won’t break the bank.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning from y’all.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made a pack from 210D robic.  Used it without problem for a couple years.

My only complaint is after a while, when I’m sweating, a little get’s into the pack.  But I haven’t found a fabric that doesn’t do this – waterproof initially but after a year or so it lets in a little water.

I’m sure the hyperD 300 is strong enough.

If I had to make a pack right now I’d likely use the 210 robic

Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Thanks, Jerry! Glad to hear that Robic 210D has worked well for you in the past and would remain your choice. I appreciate the vote of confidence for the HyperD 300 as well.

Interesting point about the wear and tear of the waterproofing. I wouldn’t have thought of it, but makes sense.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

The following is 210D Robic but with UHMWPE reinforcing threads. Though I’m a bit confused as the video says UHMWPE but the listing says HDPE.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/210d-pack-material/

If it is within your budget, I’d go with this over regular 210D Robic.

Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Thanks, Justin. That’s beyond what I’m willing to spend for this first pack, but will keep it in mind for future builds when I’m more confident of my sewing skill.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Hyperd300 is easy to work with but I would probably use the 210 robic instead for packs.

I would just buy both. That way you are familiar with both of those popular fabrics for future projects.

Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Thanks, Eric. I ended up opting for the 210D Robic. It arrived yesterday and I’ll hopefully be able to get to sewing the pack sometime soon.

It’s a moot point now that I’ve got the material in hand, but, if you don’t mind sharing your thoughts, I’d be curious to hear why you would favor it for a pack.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I’ve used the hyperD300 far more earlier in my MYOG ventures. I’m not super confident in the PU backing as I’ve seen significant delamination on my “everyday” pack from 2.5 years ago. I’ve also noticed a little bit more stitch elongation than preferred on a frameless pack I made. (*admittedly, this could be construction method issues).

Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Thanks for the info, Eric. It must be really frustrating experiencing delamination on a pack that’s only 2.5 years old.

Jessica O
    BPL Member

@jjosterloh

How did your pack turn out? I’m also getting ready to make a Stitchback pack (TH40) and was debating Robic 210D and HyperD 300. Any lessons learned or advice?

Greg S
    BPL Member

@evercurious

Jessica, so far I’ve made the front pack pocket and am about halfway through the main pack. I’ve enjoyed working with the Robic 210D. It’s been easy to cut and forgiving to sew. I’ve had to rip a few seams and re-sew and it doesn’t seem to be too worse for wear.

Good luck with your project!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools