Topic

RIP Alan Rabinowitz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire The Natural World RIP Alan Rabinowitz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

From and previous On Being Project show: “A profound stutter as a child left Alan Rabinowitz virtually unable to communicate and to prefer animals to people. He became a wildlife biologist and made his name as an explorer in some of the world’s last wild places. He’s discovered new animal species, encountered human communities believed to be lost, and all the while, worked for the survival of the world’s endangered big cats — lions, jaguars, tigers. In cultures as disparate as Belize and Burma, Alan Rabinowitz has carved out some of the most innovative preservation areas on the planet.”

These are really worth a listen:

Alan Rabinowitz – A Voice for the Animals

and

Alan Rabinowitz – Man and Beast

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Rabinowitz’s book “Beyond the Last Village” is a great (and enlightening) read.  I’ll have to ask my librarian to find me his others.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thank you Doug (and Jim) for sharing these – I knew of Panthera and a bit about Alan Rabinowitz, but not about his fascinating and powerfully emotional background story. My wife and I really enjoyed the podcasts. Highly recommended. And now adding his books to my reading list.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools