Topic

Ridgeline with Grace Duo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Ridgeline with Grace Duo?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rick Rogers
    BPL Member

@rsrogers4

Locale: Central Maryland

Hi Gang, I’m trying out hammock camping for fun (lots of trees on the A-T a few miles away). I just ordered a Chameleon and hope to use my MLD Grace Duo as the tarp. Should I order a (Dutchware?) ridgeline for the tarp?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like to tie my tarp to the tree with the thin orange MLD line and a truckers-hitch but you can bling it out if that floats your boat.

I’m assuming the Chameleon is set with structural ridgeline at ~82% of the hammock length which means your hammock should be right around 9′ long. I think the Grace has a 9.5′ ridgeline. Most people like their tarp to extend farther than that past the end of the hammock. YMMV.

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

I used a Dutch continuous ridge line with a wasp and hook on either end while hiking the AT for several weeks. The ridge line also had a Tato line adjuster, also from Dutch.

Enjoy your hike, and happy hanging!

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

I happened to watch Suge’s new video on tarps just today. He mentions his usual tarp length relative to his hammock, and it’s shorter than I expected, but bear in mind, he’s very experienced. Wish I could remember the value. There’s plenty of reason to watch this YouTube video anyway.

Rick Rogers
    BPL Member

@rsrogers4

Thanks for the super fast responses. I’ll use a trucker’s hitch for the time being. I realize I may need to buy a hammock-specific tarp but was hoping to use the Grace Duo for a bit to spread out the costs. I also need an under quilt and a warmer weather top quilt :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah the UQ is definitely key to happy hanging.

Rick Rogers
    BPL Member

@rsrogers4

Claudia, thanks for the video reference… hilarious and informative.

Matthew, thanks again for the helpful advice on this and past threads I’ve posted. I realize now that I’ll need to get tarp with a longer ridgeline.

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

Oh brother…it’s Shug, not Suge…this misspell woke me up two nights ago. I’ll blame it on Shug’s dance in the video.

YouTube video

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I use the same setup as Claudia with a  z-packs 9×6 cuben tarp and it’s easy,  convenient and decent coverage.

And Claudia: Shug, or Sean Emery is quite the performer.  Google him. You might be surprised.  But then after you’ve watched enough of his entertaining (and informative) videos you’re reaction will possibly be like mine: Well that explains it!

I  swear if I was a movie producer I’d figure out some way to get him into any movie I was making.  Just a born entertainer!

As we like to say here in NC barbecue country. That Shug ain’t just a ham. No sir, he’s th’ whole hog!

All clear in sector 7

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

I’ve become a big fan of knots for tarp hanging. http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com has my fav instructional video for tarp hanging. The truckers slip knot and the buntline slip knot are demonstrated, as is hanging tarps with hardware. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw

I agree obx! In these days of reality TV, Shug would bring big value to that medium and do very very well. Seriously, somebody outta shop that for him ;-)

I really like his hiking videos. Shug’s joy in the whole experience takes me there, makes me feel good. The videos of music jams and bbq’ing are fun too.

And I agree UQ’s are the way to go. http://www.hammockgear.com has value priced quilts as does UGQ, who crafts beautiful and functional UQ’s https://ugqoutdoor.com/under-quilts/zeppelin/

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

If you’re interested in knots and a hardware free suspension; check out this guy Jeff Myer’s youtube channel: Jeff Myers hardware free hammock suspension

His stuff looks amazing. So clean and simple; and i really like the way it reduces the fiddle factor another step. Reducing the fiddle factor is getting to be a real preoccupation as I try to continue to improve my technique. I haven’t had the time to try and make any of his rigs but it’s on my wintertime to-do list.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

An option that works well for a continuous ridge line (and guy lines, too) using slippery cord is the Klemheist knot (an adjustable hitch).

Recently I have been trying various non-hardware solutions for dyneema-on-dyneema and this worked much better than Prussik, Tautline, Blake, etc. Didn’t budge all night with fairly stiff wind.

This one was made with 4 wraps (double, since it’s a loop!) of Z-line 1.8mm slick cord around 1.75mm Zing-It, both of which are very slippery cords.

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>Very timely Bob! I just ordered 50’ of 1.75 mm Dyneema (25 Feet) from dutchwategear.</p>
    I was inspired by obx’s reference to Jeff Meyer’s YouTube channel and bought assorted materials for splicing Amstel. I already had a splicing tool from Lawson’s, but needed a nudge to get going on this brand new interest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools