Topic

RHINO ROOF UNDERLAYMENT AS MOISTURE BARRIER?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear RHINO ROOF UNDERLAYMENT AS MOISTURE BARRIER?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I spoke to roofing person this evening about laying a roof on a property I own. He recommended Rhino synthetic underlayment as an alternative to the traditional felt.

http://www.interwrap.com/RhinoRoof/

I immediately looked at the sample material and thought…this may be a good moisture barrier!

Its light, lays flat, black in color. and does not tear. Has anyone also had this idea?

I’m gonna ask him to cut me a 6 ft piece. ( it comes in 42″ width)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ernie Fuentes

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depends on how much it weighs and how impermeable it is. By “moisture barrier” do you mean use as a VBL, or as like a tarp material?  Traditional felt is designed to breath, so maybe they made this to breath some too?

Bill Giles
    BPL Member

@wgiles51

Locale: Central Illinois

Roofing felt is saturated with tar and doesn’t breathe. Rhino wrap appears to be a coated synthetic and shouldn’t pass water or water vapor. The layer under roof shingles should be waterproof. I’ve no idea about the weight or durability, but the manufacturer claims better wear life under roof traffic than roofing felt. It might be worth a look for a ground cloth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools