Topic

RFI Bob Marshall Wilderness Flyfishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara RFI Bob Marshall Wilderness Flyfishing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

So in July of 2018 I will get to spend a week in the Bob and  get a chance to spend some time fishing. Guys, I know nothing about fishing out west. I mainly fish the mountain streams of Shenandoah National Park for brook trout. I want to take a small selection of flies that will work in the rivers of the Bob. So what should I take and what sizes? Any help will be appreciated.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve found that backcountry trout (including the Bob) are not overly picky :)  I think a small selection of mid-size generic dries and equal amount of mid-size nymphs would be more than adequate.  Tenkara flies are “generic” in nature, not trying to imitate anything specific.

Having said that, add a couple of muddlers in too (sculpin pattern that trout, especially larger trout, find appealing).

Also there are bull trout in several of the Bob’s rivers- just keep that in mind if you hook a fish that you can’t get in or as has happened to me a couple of times, hook a cutthroat and fighting said fish and then have a bull trout grab the cutthroat!

If you want very specific info you can call a local flyshop (Kalispell or Great Falls depending on what side your trip is planned) a week or so out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools