Topic

Revised 2016 Patagonia Houdini

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Revised 2016 Patagonia Houdini

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Patagonia released a “new” Houdini for Spring 2016.  The specs list a 1.2-oz 15-denier 100% nylon ripstop   that matches the material used in previous models.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-houdini-windbreaker-jacket?p=24141-0

I ordered the new Houdini vest to get a sense of the breathability.  From my breath test, the material unfortunately seems the same as the post-2012 models.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-houdini-windbreaker-vest?p=24175-0

On a side note, what is the general opinion of wind vests?  If one is already carrying a rain shell, it seems like an interesting option at 2.6 oz when you need to cut the wind on the torso.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think a wind vest would make sense for warmer conditions in exposed areas, where sometimes the wind can chill you a bit but not enough for a full windshirt. Like a sunny but windy day in the high sierra. Or as a super light way to add a little insulation when on the move. Montbell makes a 1 ounce wind vest.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I would say that if you’re debating between a wind jacket and a wind vest that you have gone off the deep end.  :)  I’m all for saving ounces, but, really?  A lightweight wind jacket weighs, what, 3.5oz?  With a hood.  The tiny difference for a vest is an awful lot of dollars spent per ounce saved.  Just use your wind jacket. It’s your mindless 90% solution.
    For me the debate here is whether to bring a rain jacket or to chance just taking a DWR wind jacket. Nothing about a vest.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you have any mosquito concerns then a hooded wind shirt has obvious advantages over a vest.  I’ve had many times when I was happy to have a breathable mosquito-proof jacket.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I pondered the same question. Hoods can be considered the same way.

It’s a matter of ultility to me. If i need a vest, the need for sleeves and hood aren’t far behind. The extra bit of weight and bulk is well worth it for this core item in my layering system.

Others mentioned insect protection and I’ll add sun protection too (buy a light color). I use a poncho and the sleeves on my windshirt work well there.

Velcro tabbed cuffs would be helpful so you can push the forearms up without fatiguing the elastic, but that adds weight and expense.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Wind vests can be great for running or other high intensity activities in cold weather over a baselayer or fleece where a full jacket might cause too much sweating. But I would take a wind jacket over a vest backpacking for the reasons written above.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

Regarding the new 15D Houdini…….. I’m debating whether its worth buying it at all now that the legendary breathability is no longer there. Would it make sense instead to invest in a 20D Gore tex Active (e.g. ME Firefox jacket – on sale now)?

Its slightly heavier, but offers rain as well as wind protection. Just wondering how would it compare in terms of breathability to the new Houdini?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

a windvest works fine in light winds and yr pretty active (going up hill)

where its less useful is if yr at a slower rate (walking flat or downhill) and the wind is blowing hard

the advantage is breathability … but in that case you might be just as effective simply wearing a light c4/t2 fleece (warmer but less wind resistance) in light winds

if you use a windvest you should be willing to use yr rainshell as a “wind jacket” if its blowing hard

i own and use a dead bird celeris vest, which also happens to be orange for a certain season

;)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A wind vest doesn’t make sense to me. I do use a fleece and down vest at times. A few days ago I saw the Arc’ Squamish on sale on the REI website for under $100. That sounds like a good deal. I have a pre 2012 Houdini, which is my most versatile piece of gear and I take it on every trip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools