Topic

Review: Rohan Ambler Lightweight Walking Trousers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Review: Rohan Ambler Lightweight Walking Trousers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I’ve discovered something of a hidden gem, and thought I’d give folks a quick heads up. It’s the Rohan Ambler trouser, and for me it’s ticking more boxes than any other walking trouser I can find..

For those who don’t know, Rohan are a well established UK travel clothing company with a reputation for quality. They have outlets in the UK and the US.

What are they?

It’s a minimal trouser with an elasticated draw-cord waist and two zipped side pockets. And that’s your lot. The goodness is in the fabric and cut.

But first the specs (for male medium, I think?):

Alternate View 4

<b>Fabric:</b> 95% polyester, 5% elastane.
    <b>Weight:</b> 300g
    <b>Pack Size:</b> 785ml
    <b>Drying Time:</b> 4 hours
    Cost: $69 / £49

It comes in men’s and women’s versions.

How do they perform?

• Range of movement: excellent – you could literally wear these to a yoga class. Squatting, high-step-ups etc feel unrestricted.
    • Waist band: the minimal elastic & draw-cord waist is low profile and works unusually well under a pack – I’ve experienced no slipping or rucking at all.
    • Pockets: zipped vertical opening with mesh inside. Quite small – like every sports trouser I’ve ever owned they will shed your keys or wallet if you lie down with them unzipped – my only real dislike.
    • Fabric: lots of stretch,  but the garment holds its shape well. The outside is quite a hard face that feels robust for its weight. Pilling has been minimal after a few weeks of hard wear. It sponges clean when you want to look civilised for the pub. Not bad in the wind, wicks well and dries exceptionally quickly on the go.The inside has a soft, smooth hand that I’m finding unusually comfortable. It doesn’t rub when you’re sweaty or wet and shouldn’t chafe.
    • Convenience: very easy to slip on and off over my light trail shoes. You can pull them above your knees for stream crossings. The ankles are quite slim and don’t flap – there’s no way to cinch them, but it’s not really needed.
    • Looks: it doesn’t hurt that the cut is pretty sleek and flattering, and they work fine for casual wear.

As you can gather, I’m in love with these things and I’ll use them for all my 3-season walking. Clearly, this is not an alpine trouser and I wouldn’t use them for anything highly abrasive, but for hill-walking they’re my all-time favourite.

Of course clothing is highly personal and your mileage may vary, but if you’re in the market for a lightweight walking trouser they’ve got to be worth a look.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools