Topic

Reversing Base and Mid Layers in Camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Reversing Base and Mid Layers in Camp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

My approach seems in line with the consensus I am reading in threads for active and cold layers: merino wool base layer, synthetic mid layer, and shell, temperature and activity level depending; the downside being that the wool base layer absorbs sweat and is hard to dry but is worth the next-to-skin comfort and warmth.

I am still experimenting, but has anyone had any long-term success with reversing the layers in camp to dry out the wool base layer? So, upon arriving in camp, move synthetic next to skin, wool base layer over this to dry it out, and a down jacket to keep warm?

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Not that I’m schmart, but stumbling around in this NorCal climate where I call home, I tend to wear a cheapy athletic short sleeve shirt from wallyworld as a base then use one of two merino weights as the mid depending on temp.  Bass ackwards , perhaps.  But layering is a fact of life here, no matter the activity, from church to woods.  Unless your church is the woods then you’re covered either way.  Just some thoughts.   ~RL

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would never put my down jacket on top of wet inner layers.  Any drying those inner pieces do will be through the down jacket, where the moisture will re-condense.

M. C
    BPL Member

@bluemtns

Your question is a good one – how to cool down without getting cold. Are you able to keep one merino layer dry and change into that at camp? Hang up the wet layers to air out – and then as the sweat evaporates from your body, start layering up with other dry layers (e.g. down jacket or dry merino).

Personally I stay away from synthetics near the skin since they trap moisture. The down jacket and and outer rain shell are only used over a merino layer.

HTH,

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

In my experience, Merino base layers are really only great for keeping the smell down. Other than that, they are not as warm and high performance enough for the weight, IMO. Part of that is the slow drying time. A super stretchy synthetic base layer is preferable as long as you can manage to not smell like an expired foot, or care for that matter. ;)

One thing I do when sweating hard, is to make sure I pace myself before I reach camp. I slow down if needed and get my layers as thin as possible. I then hike fast enough to keep warm, but not sweat heavily. It takes some practice, but it’s not hard to know how fast your base layers dry out and plan on being mostly dry when hitting camp.

And yes, it s very easy to dry out anything faster if you swap the mid and base layers, assuming the base layer is stretchy enough and the air is warm and/or dry enough. Might not be so good for the down jacket, but if the overall weather is dry, then it’s not enough moisture to matter getting into down temporarily.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I use merino as my base layer, it is a bit heavier than the equivalent synthetic but warmer and more comfortable in my experience and better at countering the funk factor.

As stated above, you have really two issues here 1) managing your layers while on the move before you get to camp and 2) drying the base layer once you are in camp.

If you are always arriving with damp base layer and do not want to start carrying an extra pair, don’t use a down puffy but switch to a synthetic puffy, as stated above the moisture will just impair the down’s ability to keep you warm.

Since it is your body heat that dries the layers, switching the base layer to the outside of the mid layer will work because the mid layer will insulate the base layer from your heat. But experiment and let us know.

Sometimes right before dinner, I will strip down to the base layer in the attempt to dry it.

If I know I will be involved in a high exertion activity such as snow shoeing with a pack in the afternoon, I usually bring a synthetic puffy and wear that around the camp kitchen to dry my layers.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Thanks all.

Todd: I should qualify the base layer moisture buildup level. It is not wet through and through, but just slightly damp: the pace is usually a steady 3 mph (~5 km/h) over rolling terrain. The down is relatively breathable and has not degraded in the past.

M.C.: I do not bring any extra clothes. I sleep in the base layer and add layers depending on ambient temperature.

Johan: Yes, the expired foot factor. I am cognizant of the performance factor so I keep it synthetic for the mid layer, and pay the extra ~2 oz. for the next-to-sweat layer. Good suggestion on the pace moderating, something I have not deliberately done well enough in the past as we are usually so focused on getting to a particular waypoint before sundown. Thank you for the confirmation on the layer swapping. The synthetic mid layer is invariably dryer at the end of the day and feels great against the skin, even if temporarily, upon reaching camp. My guess is that the merino wool base layer will dry faster on the body than hanging somewhere to dry, especially in more damp conditions.

Bruce: Yes, reversing layers seems to be what Johan’s comments (and my desultory attempts thus far) show as a possible drying solution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools