Topic

Return from Mont Blanc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Return from Mont Blanc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I have returned from the Tour Du Mont Blanc and it was one of the most challenging and wonderful place that I have ever hiked. I hit every type of weather from hot, sunny days, to cold snowy, sleety rain blowing sideways. My gear worked, especially during the cold sleet. I wore a synthetic Columbia long sleeve top with silver lining, a Houdini over that and my Marmot precip jacket. I was warm and dry.

No problem getting a bed in the refuges, but I did call ahead for the two on the mountain tops, Elisabetti and Bonnati. Because the weather was unseasonably cold and wet, several of the cafes along the way closed for the season. Our last refuge near Chamonix, was closing the morning we all were leaving.

A group if us took a varient route out of Col de la Forclaz, stating it was longer but easier. The sun was out and it was a beautiful hike until….the last section was chains, rock scrambles, narrow icy trails. About 6 of us helped each other across the ice, one French woman fell and hit her head. She was with a group of day hikers and they tended to her. She was ok, but shaken up. When some of us got to the top of Col de Balme, we decided to take the chairlift down as it was cold and extremely windy and had been hiking for almost 7 hours. We got into Le Tour and found a wonderful refuge there with a great 5 course homemade meal.

The only piece of gear i wanted was warmer gloves. I had windstopper gloves and put waterproof overgloves on them and that worked, but I would prefer a fleece or something warmer, as it was in the 20’sF most mornings.

We hiked in light snow on our way into Switzerland.

Overall, I would rate this hike something people should do, or at least get out and hike the Alps or some mountain formation in Europe. A completely different experience and awe-inspiring. The people I met along the way were concerned for each other, and we kept tabs on where we were in case of trouble.

I suggest just getting the international phone plan of your carrier and use that. Simple, no number change, and fairly decent reception. Some of the refuges had no service.

There were mostly Americans and Brits hiking out there. Also a big mix of ages. Many just did like we did and called ahead for a bed. But, because this trail is getting so popular now, if I did it again, I would made reservations ahead of time. Some did get turned away.

Thank you all for your help. I did end up using a 35L pack that was pretty empty but wore very well on me and left me room for anything I may have needed along the way.

Donna

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Sounds like it was a fantastic trip! Thanks for the update!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Donna,

Thanks for taking the time to post your report.

“Overall, I would rate this hike something people should do, or at least get out and hike the Alps or some mountain formation in Europe.” — we agree 100% that Americans should try hiking in Europe at least once to see if they like it. We hiked for many decades in American wilderness areas before wandering across the pond and now we are hooked. Not better, but different enough to be a good complement.

It’s interesting that you said most hikers were Americans and Brits. On our recent GTA hike, we saw lots of European hikers but no Americans and only two Brits.

Thanks, Amy (and James too)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Amy, I have no explanation why we ran into so many Americans and Brits and also Australians. But that said, this was one of the most challenging hikes I have ever done. At my age of 64, I was very pleased with what I could do, given the weather and some really scary moments. It’s no joke out there. I had chosen all of the right gear, with only wishing that I had the second pair of warmer gloves and perhaps some microspikes for not just the ice, but mud.

It was hard to train for such a hike living here in Virginia, but it sure was worth the effort of those long climbs up and knee-screaming downs. I was chased by cows, lost a shirt, a pair of socks and a few other items at one of the refuges, but replaced them in Italy. The snows were moving in, cows herded down off the mountains sharing the trail, marmots still chirping, Ibex, laying in a the grass nearby, and I learned that when a cloud of fog moves in, that is a storm. I had to grab on chains along the mountain, help someone off of a ledge, and got a wood stove going at the cow barn refuge so we few folks could dry our clothes and get warm. Yes, it is truly a different experience out there. Just so real.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools