Topic

Restricted meal plan issues with Philmont meals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Restricted meal plan issues with Philmont meals

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Locale: East Bay

Hello all.

As an advisor, I have our weeks in for 2018 and have a long way to get ready.  Fortunately, I have a while to train and prepare.  Here is my issue.  I can’t eat sugars or flours.

We bought some Philmont meals last year and used them for the crew going this past summer.  Basically, the only thing in those meals I can eat is nuts.  Do you think there is any way for Philmont to accommodate this meal plan or should I plan on bringing all my own meals?  Since we are on a 12 day trek, that would add a ton of weight to my pack.  Any thoughts or ideas?

– ATG

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

http://www.scouting.org/Philmont/~/link.aspx?_id=64E49C8E029E48ACBAF5006AE1AFF5EC&_z=z

I believe that they will deliver your food to the backcountry commissaries for pickup along with the other meals along with the rest of your Crew.  You should not have to carry more than ~4 days of food between picups.  Call them; they will advise you on the specifics.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Menus are typically posted in the Spring of the year of your trek. They change a bit from year to year. The link Aubrey provided lists the procedure for this year. Procedures for supplying your own meals also get tweeked a bit from year to year. Your replacements will be delivered to the commissary where your regular pick up would be. No need to carry it all.

This year (2016) most pick ups were about 3 days apart.

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Thanks Ed and Aubrey

That is really good news.  looks like packitgourmet.com will need getting good a nice order prior to the trip

ATG

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Follow up.  I received a great email from Philmont saying that they will, indeed, deliver the food I provide to the backcountry along with the rest of the food for my crew.  Very accomodating.

– ATG

Irena Klayko
    Spectator

@iklayko

I went to Philmont in 2015 and am going back in 2017. I did take some of my own food due to food restrictions. What I learned is make sure to take some extra time at the commisseries. They will not only have your new meals but your Philmont ones there also. You cannot just deny the Philmont ones, you have to go through what you don’t want and distribute it in the appropriate bins. So it takes a little extra time, or else you will end up carrying extra food and extra weight. Also make sure to follow their labeling and packaging instructions or else your food will end up at the wrong commissary. PS you can also get apples, oranges and milk at each commissary stop. It’s just enough for 1 per person, but it tastes sooooo good after dehydrated everything. The reason I mention, is one year our troop went and the leaders couldn’t figure out why they saw other troops with fruit/milk, but they weren’t getting the extra treats. Turns out our scouts, that they were sending to the commissary were declining the fruit and milk to avoid the extra weight ;-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools