Topic

Request- which gearmakers create gear so good/cool it can almost be art?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Request- which gearmakers create gear so good/cool it can almost be art?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

ZimmerBuilt and ZPacks were ones I was thinking of (for packs and for headwear/rainwear respectively). Some great suggestions here and a few I had not considered. Going to happily consider ordering a new pack soon. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas guys. It’s great to appreciate the guys/gals doing great work out there!

(I’m OK with slightly rough stitching btw … just plain functionality is an art in its way.)

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

Locus Gear. The attention to detail & the level of craftmanship is art.

Look at those cat curves!

My Khufu in the Cairngorms:

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

yes … but it should look like this :

your corners are stretched out too far, but if you like it like that it’s OK with me.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Agreed with Franco’s analysis.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

It’s nothing all that special but whenever I use the Kupilka cup it does feel like I am holding something that is made to feel good in my hands. I like my titanium cups just fine  but they don’t quite compare.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Hi Kat! I’ve thought about getting one of those. So great to see you!

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

yes … but it should look like this :

your corners are stretched out too far, but if you like it like that it’s OK with me.

</div>

Hi Franco, thanks for that.

I might be pulling the corners too tight when staking it out. I’ve always done it that way for the past two years, never thought about staking it out slightly looser. Will try that on my next trip!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Improving the pitch will also result in better interior space.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

(off-topic) but for @franco and @arnel — it’s not just the corners being stretched too far (because a tight pitch is good), but Arne’s pitch is made with a shorter pole length, most likely. Bump the length up an inch or two and you’ll approach a pitch that looks like Franco’s.

Right now my art gear includes:

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

Katabatic quilts and backpacks are pretty much art. Their packs are right in line with Arc’teryx in terms of quality and design.

I’m also pretty smitten with my zpacks duplex on a design level. People say the stitching isn’t immaculate, but I’m continually impressed with what a versatile/functional design they got into such a light package.

This is drifting away from backpacking a little, but the Nike Terra kiger 3’s are a shoe masterpiece IMO. They are the most truly footshaped shoe that I’ve found, while also offering a close technical fit. The all fly mesh upper is beautiful and surprisingly durable. The flywire hugs the foot perfectly. This shoe a piece of technology that you could tie to the foot of a caveman and they would immediately understand it’s perfection. I mainly use these as trail runners, but for trailed backpacking they are also amazing. Only downside for off trail backpacking is the divided sole unit will eventually begin to peel off. Wildhorse are also great trail runners, without the divided sole.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That’s a beautiful photo of the Locus Gear Apollo. Indeed LG makes fantastic stuff. My Khufu has been great.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools