Topic

Replenishing silnylon – advice needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Replenishing silnylon – advice needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ve seen posts here on BPL that deal with applying a diluted silicone onto silnylon that’s losing its waterproofness.

Questions: 1) which silicone is best? 2) what is the best diluting agent? 3) what is the most effective tool for applying the mixture, a brush or something else?

Also, can this process help increase the hh  of new silnylon? Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

no best, a number of equally good solutions, many threads about this in the past

100% silicone, for example GE.  Clear.  Don’t get the version that has mold inihibitor or dries quickly.

dilute with mineral spirits.  Don’t get the low VOC version or environmentally friendly version, it has stuff other than mineral spirits.

10:1 by weight, stir for several minutes until the silicone becomes uniformly mixed.

Foam brush is good.

If your silnylon has lost its waterproofness, has it also lost it’s strength from UV?  The color starts getting faded.  If you really pull on it it will rip.

Set your tent up so it’s really taut, apply, let dry for at least a day.  You could do it to a new tent which would increase it’s waterproofness.  Also give it some UV protection.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here’s a post from Dave Chenault about recoating silnylon:

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2018/04/30/recoating-silnylon-shelters/

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If I had to do a full tarp or shelter , I would use this :

http://www.atsko.com/silicone-water-guard-1-gallon/ using a foam paint brush for the application.

I did one shelter using a very highly diluted mix (something like 10:1) but it was still too much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools