Topic

Replacing tarptent end strut guylines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacing tarptent end strut guylines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Has anyone replaced the guyline pyramid at the strut ends of a Tarptent? I have a Moment DW that needs new guylines. Wondering if people used similar guyline or tried something different, and how they replaced it? If you have some tips, I’d appreciate them.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I’ve replaced it on all my TTs – generally making the lines longer as I find it more adaptable to pitch then.

I used 3mm polypropylene from eBay, it’s worked fine for years.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Ed do you have any tips on connecting the lines at the strut ends? Maybe it’s not as complicated as it looks.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

I have done that on my tarptents as well, I also go longer for more adaptability.   Lawson’s glowire in 2.5mm works very well.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

AK – I just copied what was there originally…..

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I use Lawsons 2mm Glowire. Stepping up to 2.5 wouldn’t hurt, but 2 works. They moved.  It will be back in stock soon.

I redid the configuration of the strut lines on my SS for a better stake hold. If you’re not having problems, I’d just do it like it came originally. They’re pretty well thought out.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Always around to help with this kind of stuff. Direct email is “[email protected]

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

RE: Lawson Equipment

The company has been radio silent for months now. The website is still up but nothing in stock to sell and no message about the re-start or the move.

The world waits for world-class cordage at reasonable prices.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I just bought guyline at our local outdoor retailer. It seems like it will work ok. It’s a bit stiff so hard to get the knots tight as they were.  You know how when you fix up one part of your house, the rest looks a bit shabby? Well now my Moment DW has fancy new guylines, but maybe i need to wash it!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Lawson moved. I contacted them. They should be back on line (ha) this month.it’s worth the wait, if you can.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I’m remodeling the bathroom.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I’m using the MLD 2.7mm cordage for my stratospire 2 pitchlock corners. I separated the top and bottom into two separate lines and made the top line longer (~twice as long as original) to get a more favorable angle with the ground when needed (i.e., when it’s really windy)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve got some 2 mm glow wire I could send you if you give me a total length.  I do prefer it for 1) not tripping on guy lines as much after a pottie run and 2) finding the tent quickly in my headlamp if I get turned around.  One of my tents is a dark forest green that doesn’t stand out on its own without the glowire.

I also use the Glowire for things like a little loop on my NiteCore Tube, Victorinox Classic and other things I want to find in the dark.  A small amount of sticky reflective tape would also work (if applied to both sides).

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Thanks everyone for your tips and offers. I just bought some 2.5mm line at my local outdoor retailer (truly local, not a chain). I made the top lines a wee bit longer, but otherwise did it the same as it was. I had a hard time tightening the knots on the new stiff line, so I’ll probably have to check them each pitch to make sure they’re solid. I’ll be heading out to a windy open area, so we’ll see how I did! I didn’t use reflective cord since the struts are inside the tent, so it would be really hard for someone trip on them anyway, although on longer lines I definitely use the reflective stuff.

I also had a bit of a laugh when I bought the line. I wondered why it cost so dang much, then I realized that he charged me for 224 feet, not inches, of line! The sales clerk was so embarrassed that he discounted the final price, after making the correction. It’s one of the reasons I like to shop locally; he didn’t even need to check with the boss/corporate overlord, before just deciding to give me a deal as apology for his error. How stores should be run…

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

If they are tight soak them than pull them taut; although the wind will probably snug them up on your first pitch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools