Topic

Replacing Pole Tip on Locus Gear CP3 Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacing Pole Tip on Locus Gear CP3 Poles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I would link this thread to one of the originals about replacing the CP3 tips, but with the changeover all of my saved threads have disappeared. I’m now spending a lot of time trying to remember what I had saved and hunting them down again. But that’s an other post all together.

I spoke to the Customer Support staff at Locus Gear over the last week asking if they sell replacement tips (since they’re not listed on their site) for the poles, and was told that they do sell them. They’re 600yen each including shipping right now. 1200 yen currently = $9.77

I’m posting this because I know from the prior threads that everyone thought that they would need to buy a new set of bottom sections each time the tips wore out which kept a lot of you from considering the poles as an option.

The rep told me that the old tips are very hard to get off (sounds like all poles I know of). She said that the easiest way to remove the old tips is by carefully cutting them off. But with experience and hard work you CAN get them off.

I just thought some of you might like to know.

With this info in hand, I just purchased my first set of truly lightweight poles. Waiting for them to arrive.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I had about 150 miles and one of the carbide tips of my cp3 poles broke off. I contacted Locus Gear. Yuki sent me a lower pole section that had a cosmetic defect (I couldn’t see it) free of charge.  This was earlier in the summer. They weren’t selling replacement tips at the time.

I tried twisting and prying the tips off with some channel locks without success. I think I read someone putting the pole tip in boiling water to soften the glue then using pliers to pull them off. They weren’t cp3 poles but I seems like it will work. I’ll try it over Winter break.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

i was able to get the tips of my CP2 poles pretty easily by leaving them in boiling water for 5 minutes. I swapped on some Black Diamond tips I had handy.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I had an old cheap set of poles that I replaced the tips on last year, but I figured it was a fluke. No glue. They were just pressure fitted on them. Very easy to get off.

I haven’t had to replace any others yet, but I was a little worried because of some of the horror stories I’ve heard.

I’ve also heard of poles that would only take certain name brands of tips, so I thought I’d share: 1) The tips are replaceable. 2) If they were model specific, the company does sell the replacement tips.

I would have been hesitant to boil the carbon fiber pole bottoms for removal, but with the number of posts suggesting it, that I’ve read in the past few days… I’m now comfortable with the idea.

Thanks to all of you, I just keep learning.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools