Topic

Replace backpack hip belt with another brand?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Replace backpack hip belt with another brand?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Has anyone mixed and matched one brand of backpack with another brand’s hip belt? Maybe with some MYOG modifications?<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

I am exploring the idea of swapping out the hip belt on my Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian with a different brand as the replacement.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

The Granite Gear hip belt is joined to the frame sheet with a screw that runs through a grommet on the hip belt.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

I wanted to hear if anyone has done this with a similar set up. If so, how did it go? What brands did you mix and match? Can you offer any tips for what I have in mind?<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> Do you have any recommendations for a hip belt that I should consider for such a transplant? </span>

-Michael<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

This probably won’t be relevant but my old Mystery Ranch pack used hard plastic stiffeners in its hipbelt which sucked because it dug into my hip flesh so I cut off the plastic wings (see pic) and slid in an old and much more comfy Kelty hipbelt back behind the MR’s lumbar pad—works great.

Here are the hateful stiff hipbelt wings on the Mystery Ranch pack—after getting cut off.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I bought a Camelbak camouflage hunting backpack (3,500 cu. in.) that had a wimpy plastic “frame sheet” and an unpadded fabric waist belt.

MY MODS:

1. add two 1″ wide, pre-curved aluminum stays (from Lowe’s) and a connecting top 1″ bar with stainless bolts through the fabric and plastic frame sheet using s.s. washers and Nyloc nuts.
    2. cut off cloth waist belt
    3. seam rip the vertical seams on each side of the lumbar pad and have shoe repair shop bar tack the upper corners of the lumbar pad to help transfer weight from the pack to the new REI Ridgeline padded hip belt
    4. slide REI aftermarket padded hip belt in behind the lumbar pad and buckle on the hip side straps to (thankfully) existing plastic ladder buckles on the pack
    5. Luckily the REI belt had no padding in the center area that was exactly the width of the Camelbak lumbar pad! The fit is perfect. Also this new belt had “pull-to-center” style belt webbing for easy tightening.

Now I have a pack whose weight is transferred to my hip belt and thus to my hips. Great for back country skiing W/ emergency overnight gear and mainly used for training hikes with 30+ pounds of weight. Used 3 – 5 times per week for training hikes for the past 6 years and still going strong!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

REI sells a number of hip belts, including Ospreys. Some can be bought a little cheaper on E-Bay.

https://www.rei.com/c/hip-belts?ir=category%3Apack-accessories&r=category%3Apack-accessories%7Chip-belts&origin=web

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Thanks everyone for chiming in. @Tipiwalter, that belt looks super comfy. Well done. @scfhome (Sam), those are two of the belts I was looking at. I think the REI belt is similar to the one they use on their new/improved Flash packs, which I recently tried on and it was very comfortable.</div>

Thanks again, guys!

-Michael

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools