Topic

Replace Acr 406 battery or get new device

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replace Acr 406 battery or get new device

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi,

The battery in my ACR 406 is going to expire soon.  I got a quote of about 80$ to replace the battery.

Is there any other devices I should be looking at?

Has anyone had their battery replaced? I was told by someone the battery may last far longer than the expiration date (not sure I would chance that).

Cheers,

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

The ACR 406 is a great PLB.  It does one thing and does it very well and is relatively inexpensive.  Satellite communicators (Garmin and Spot are the industry leaders) have become more and more common because they are more versatile:  most allow for two-way text communication and tracking features allow those at home to see your progress and location, and you still have an SOS button.  That is where the industry advertising $ seem to be focused.  Just depends on what you want out of your device.

$80 is a good price for a battery replacement.  I paid approx. $125 several years ago.  The replacement had a 6-yr life, better than the 5-yr original battery which was already a year old when I bought the thing.  Personally, I would not gamble with using the device past the battery life.  Yeah, it could work, but seems like that kind of defeats the purpose of a piece of gear that your life is depending on.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

$80 is a good price for a battery replacement.

Yeah, mind sharing where you got that quote?

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACR-ResQlink-PLB-Replacement-battery-pack-Resqlink-Beacon-PLB-375-2880-2881-/332810112016?oid=131874929936

Not my listing nor any financial interest. I’ll let you google other DIY links, they are out there.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

YMMV. Whether ACR or an authorized rep replaces them it could still potentially fail.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^True. ACR or an authorized rep would do more than just replace the battery, the service “includes a full physical integrity check, pressure test, data transmission test, replacement of seal and o-rings, installation of the new battery, and disposal of the old battery.” I like the assurance of these services/tests over a DIY approach for something as important as a PLB.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Glad I have my SPOT Gen 3. Not an In Reach Garmin but still very good and uses easily replaceable lithium batteries.

But I do have an old ACR strobe light I used to use for sea kayaking and it too needs that d@mn battery.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks all for posting.

It was a company in Florida that ACR recommended that I got the quote from. I need to dig out the name.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I switched to an inReach Mini when my epirb battery expired. I have found the Mini to be pretty handy so far. The downside with the Mini is that you start out with an expensive piece of electronics, and then thanks to the monthly subscription cost you just keep paying. Otherwise it seems like an easy choice to me.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I wonder if the Florida company that Stephen M read about was Solution One Marine?  That is who replaced my ACR-PLB battery, and they did a great job with fast turnaround.  As I recall, I had the unit back within 7-10 days.  They were easy to work with.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

<span class=”profile-data”>@philip-ak</span>

“The downside with the Mini is that you start out with an expensive piece of electronics, and then thanks to the monthly subscription cost you just keep paying.”

I paid $260 for my inReach SE, $580 in subscription $$$…just a data point confirming your observation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools