Topic

Repairing sil-ny tarp pull outs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repairing sil-ny tarp pull outs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Hi Guys! I have a sil-ny poncho tarp. I used it one night and one of the side-pull outs has already started ripping out at the stitching. How do I fix this? I own a sewing machine. I would love some photos about best way to repair it…I probably will want to strengthen all of the side pull outs so would love some feedback on best way to do this! Thanks!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Looks like a GoLite Poncho I just bought off Gearswap.

To fix remove the tieout with an exacto knife. I use pins and masking tape to hold tieout in place while sewing 2 straight stitch lines with a 90/14 universal needle and Mara 70 thread. Next I go over each line with a zigzag stitch, bartacking about 6 strokes on each end.

I’m not sure I’m getting a complete picture of whats failing in the top pic though. I assume top and bottoms pics are the same tieout?

Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Hi there!

Thank you for your very detailed answer. Correct, the photos are of the same tie out. The top pic did not show well that the material had ripped so I folded the material to show the tear in the bottom pic.

It is the My Trail Co poncho/tarp (so you are correct there, as well). :) I am wondering if I also should reinforce/ sew over the corners (before they have a chance to rip out)…or maybe use sealant…

I have had this poncho/tarp for awhile and never used it because I have a hex cuben fiber tarp that I always use (but wish I had a cantenary or flat cut tarp- different topic of course) but I´m going on a trip next week and there is minimal chance of rain and it should be warm-ish so figured it was a great time to try out the poncho/tarp. Set it up 1x in the garden on a light wind day, returned and it had the rip. Not too impressed. Hopefully once I do your recommend reinforcement, it should hold up a bit better…

Thanks!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yea the problem with the My Trail/GoLite poncho tarps is that there are no bonded reinforcements and the material is a 15d silnylon. In your situation I’d bond on a silnylon repair strip about 3″ long and width of seam parallel with the seam using Permatex Flowable Silicone or Silnet if that’s all you have around. And then sew the repair strip on after it dries. Next sew on the tieout. The only way I see that you could shore up the strength of the tieouts would be to remove all of them and the put on bonded reinforcements. That’s a lot of work and materials though. It looks like the material gave way more than the sewing, but I can’t tell for sure by looking at the pics. Extra sewing on the tieouts might help.

If you do an A frame with the poncho I’d strongly suggest a ridgeline and prusik knots to take most of the stresses off of the ridgeline tieouts and to keep proper tension as the silnylon stretches over time.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

what monte said is good

maybe add reinforcing half or quarter circles of silnylon.  Glue on with silnet or permatex.  After it dries do a row of zigzag stitches through reinforcement/webbing/tarp

Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Thanks to both of your replies.

Well, I definitely appreciate the detailed answers and if I kill this tarp during this trip, I should just buy a CF/ dyneema poncho tarp instead. It definitely sounds like I NEED one…for safety reasons…. ;) ;) hahah.

I really like the idea of a poncho/ tarp because I am short so the length coverage while wearing them, as well as setup length, is not an issue for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools