Topic

Repairing cuben fiber jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Repairing cuben fiber jacket

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Yesterday on a day hike I was wearing my old Zpacks cuben fiber jacket (it is a weird white color and has a very plastic feel to it, it’s not one of their newer jackets) and I kept feeling this catching sensation as my arm brushed against the strap adjuster on my day pack. I looked and the seam had torn open on one of the arms and was coming close to doing the same on the other arm. The seam itself feels sticky like it had been glued.

I’m wondering what’s the best way to fix this. I find that duct tape tends to peel away at the corners or edges of things that I’ve fixed using duct tape.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Zpacks sells cuben fiber tape in different sizes.

You might want to carefully inspect the whole jacket to determine whether it is time for a replacement. CF is not as durable as other fabrics.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Depending on the age of the product and the maker, cuben fiber seams can be glued; my CF tarp ridgeline for instance.  So I’m not surprised you found the seems a bit sticky after they tore apart.

As Bruce mentioned, Zpacks does sell cuben fiber repair tape which would be my first choice.  I carry a tiny strip for long backpacking trips in case my tarp gets a hole.  However, it sticks much better if the spot is clean and dry first.  The problem with cuben fiber with age (especially UV exposure) is the fabric does start to break down afterwhile, so you may need to go wider on the tape than you’d normally think to insure a good bond with it.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I need to go wider on the whole jacket :/

Darn on the tape because I just ordered something from them that arrived today.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Might try Tenacious Tape…relatively inexpensive and sticks like heck to many fabrics.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools