Topic

Repackaging Aquatabs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Repackaging Aquatabs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

Does anyone use and have repackaged Aquatabs? I contacted them asking about doing so and they said not to do it and when I asked why they never responded. Can anyone think of a good reason not to?

Those little dots drive me insane getting out of their 100000x oversized packaging.

Daniel B
    BPL Member

@zauric

If the active ingredient is sodium dichloroisocyanurate is probably fine for a short term trip as long as its kept away from light and moisture. I wouldn’t recommend long term storage outside of the packaging though, its a mild oxidizer so I imagine it would degrade in efficiency over time.

Not my fault though if you get a case of the trots.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

All water purification pills are potentially poisonous if swallowed directly – so they must be sold in childproof packaging. Unfortunately, that usually means “stressed-tired-hungry-thirsty-adult-proof” too. And overpackaged.

If you choose to repackage, the liability could be on you.

Also – I’ve had accidentally-sliced Aquatab packages corrode nearby metal and electronics from the offgassing. A very gas-tight package highly recommended.

— Rex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools