Topic

'Renting' bear spray near Denver?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 'Renting' bear spray near Denver?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

I’ve seen mention of some areas having places where you can rent/borrow/return bear spray rather than fly into an area, buy it, not use it then have to find a home for it before your return flight.

Anything like that around Denver?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Don’t bother.  The very few issues we have had would not have been mitigated by spray. You’ll get a much better “return on effort” by carrying 750ml of Jack Daniels.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@greg23 I’m going to carry some to give my wife some peace of mind, if for nothing else.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

REI might have some – I know they rent some gear, but may not do bear spray due to liability concerns.

I admit – I do carry spray in Alaska, much for the same reason you are, however, as someone that has been (fasle) charged by a black bear in GSMNP,  I would never have had time to get the spray out of the holster, pull the pin and aim, before momma bear got to me.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@mocs123 Thanks for the response. I’ll give the local REI a call and see if they do or know of anyone that does.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

I’m in Colorado Springs, so slightly south of Denver. You’re welcome to borrow the one I have. It rarely if ever comes on hikes with me anyways…

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@scandiman-2 Appreciate it! Doubt we’ll be going that far south but if anything changes, I’ll take you up on that. Thank you!

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

Okay, if you do end up borrowing mine, just shoot me a text or call. I am having issues with my messages on BPL. Phone#-  Seven One 9 – 648 – Two One Nine 2.

Cheers!

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

Perfect, thank you @scandiman-2

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just buy it.

Afterwards you can keep it in your home as a non-lethal “weapon” against home invasion. (Hey, it happens all the time.) Of course my answer to that home protection problem is my Ruger LC9s 9mm because that’s what I’m trained to use.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@danepacker I have no issue with buying it and I do keep multiple cans in my home for that purpose. But TSA won’t allow more than 4oz. in checked luggage, so bringing it home isn’t an option.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

If you are going to RMNP and driving through Boulder, Andrew Skurka, lives there and probably has provided it to clients and thus might rent it to you.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

Thanks @mocs123!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

OK, if this is to make the wife happy, would a photo mock up of you with be good enough?  :D

Look honey, I bought the bear spray!

Seriously. Bear spray is not needed in the CO Rockies.

I understand the concept of happy wife = happy life, so I am only half-jesting about the photo mock up. ;)

(Or just buy the damn thing and leave it in the car!)

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@paulmags lol that’s one idea….

I don’t mind buying it and will if need be. Just figured I’d check.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Lol, I have never left bearspray in a car but I am sure I have confused quite a few rental car clerks when they find a half empty bottle of HEET in the trunk in August. :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If I bought some and was then flying home, I’d leave it at the trailhead with a note, “Unused, take it if you need it (and understand how to use it!).”

An local, off-brand car rental company in Wrangell Alaska (off the road system) had a “if you need it, take it, if you can’t take it on the flight, leave it” box of fuel, aerosol DEET / sunscreen, bear spray, etc.  I’ve rented a lot of cars at DIA and have never seen that there.

Although aerosol cans and butane/propane can be surface-mailed through USPS, “Tear Gas, pepper spray and other chemical irritants” can not be.  UPS will accept it at one of their hubs – maybe not worth the bother for a $45 item.

I see bear spray offered on Amazon for $32-$50 with free Prime shipping, so I assume that it is shipped via UPS.

Matt V
    BPL Member

@mv45

Locale: Colorado

I live near Boulder, and I have four cans if you want to borrow some. They also had it at Costco for $25 a can last time I was there. I keep it around for the occasional trips to Wyoming and Montana where they have grizzly bears. It’s not needed in Colorado.

This won’t make you feel better about not carrying bear spray in Colorado, but a bear recently tried to eat guy who was camping. It sounds like he was under the stars with no tent. He survived with minor injuries, and they killed the bear. As a result I might start keeping bear spray in my car in populated areas to deal with problem bears, but I probably still won’t backpack with it unless I’m in grizzly territory.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/bear-attacks-camper-at-glacier-view-ranch-christian-retreat-northwest-of-boulder

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

@mv45 Yeah, I saw that – crazy. Great way to wake up lol.

We may actually be going through Boulder, if so, I may take you up on that. It’ll keep the wife happy. Thank you!

I guess the polite thing to do would be to have asked if anyone in the Denver area NEEDED bear spray. If so I could buy it, (not) use it, then gift it to someone.

Nick M
    BPL Member

@medicpatriot

Just buy some and ship it as needed.

That’s what I always do.

I mail it to myself via USPS and pick it up after I land. Then I send it back home before I fly away.

I think you have to tell USPS that is an aerosol so they mark it for ground transportation only, but it’s legal.

Edit: maybe they changed it since I shipped last, but last year I asked them in person and they said it was okay.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools