Topic

Reminder – Durston Xmid 1p & 2p on sale 1/10 and 1/13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reminder – Durston Xmid 1p & 2p on sale 1/10 and 1/13

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

In case you missed the news, the next batch of Durston Xmids are being released 1/10 and 1/13 at 10am EST on Cavisio outdoors.

They will likely sell out immediately so be up at 10am EST hitting refresh if you want to get one. Setup a Cavasio account ahead of time as well.

The 1p has a bunch of nice refinements since the last run including larger cat cuts for a tighter pitch, almost 30% larger mesh interior with the same footprint, and several other improvements.

https://www.kavisooutdoors.com/products/durston-gear-x-mid-1p-tent

https://www.kavisooutdoors.com/products/durston-gear-x-mid-2-ultralight-backpacking-tent

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I ordered at 3 seconds after 10am est and they sold out.  Just amazing.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks to everyone for the interest and our apologies to those who wound up frustrated. We are working hard to improve supply but right now we simply don’t have enough.

The batch on Thursday should take longer to sell out because about 35% of people were able to get one today. I think approx 50-65% of people will be able to get one then. So we encourage people to try again then.

And also please note we’ll have the DCF X-Mid Pro 2 on pre-sale in 2 weeks which we have a larger supply for, so it should be easier to purchase. I highly doubt that’ll sell out within minutes.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Same here.  Probably not going to be able to get one so I am going to have to look at other 2p ones that use trekking poles.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

And also please note we’ll have the DCF X-Mid Pro 2 on pre-sale in 2 weeks…

Will the details on the Pro 2 be available in  advance so that people can make a considered decision on whether it’s what they want before having to rush to order?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There’s a nice graphic on that Kaviso page showing the 2nd-gen 1P’s new width and height, but it says nothing about length.  I assume that means the length is unchanged?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Todd: The length is 4″ longer, so it is now 90″ instead of 86″. Since there is some inward slope the usable length is about 3″ longer. We think that’ll keep everyone happy up to about 6’4″.

Brett: The odds will be quite a bit better on Thursday. Instead of 35% successful I think it’ll more like 50-65% since a lot of people got theirs now. Other nice options are the SMD Haven and TT Stratospire.

William: We’re not sure yet. At the very least, orders for the X-Mid Pro 2 are fully refundable so you can just order quickly and then cancel if you have reservations after digesting the information. We don’t think people need to panic as much for the Pro because we have a better supply, but some people will. It might sell out but not as fast. So we are discussing this and deciding on a plan. Orders will open Jan 24 and then we might provide info before then.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Well, it only took a bit over 2 minutes to sell out of everything.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I failed both days. Almost got one day 1. Today was worse. My page refreshed for 3 minutes then said sold out. Bummer. Next run is in July, so by the time they’re delivered you can basically say no new Xmids for the 2022 season. (probably by late 22′, but nothing likely before fall).

Anyone want to start a tent mfg in the US? Dan could probably soak up all your production… :)

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I made it to the checkout line but they ran out within a couple minutes. No worries, it was fun trying. I can get one later since I have v.1. The XMid 1 had some popularity in The Treks annual AT hiker survey.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Sorry about the disappointment. We’re trying hard to meet the interest for these, but with production lead times at about 2 years right now the tents we have now are ones we ordered a long time ago.

The July batch of solid inner X-Mid 1 and 2 are tents that we expect to be shipping to customers then (not on pre-sale then). We’ll probably sell them 1-2 months ahead of time, and then people will get them in late July.

We also have our new flagship DCF X-Mid Pro 2 on pre-sale in another week or so for hopefully late spring delivery (still working on that).

And then we’ll have much better production coming online this fall. I think we’ll finally be able to keep up with the interest then.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Dan, just out of curiosity, how many tents (1 & 2 person) have sold since the very first offering of the 1 person X-Mid on Drop through this last preorder?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

About 15k.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

That’s awesome! Congrats on the success so far. Given your passion, design philosophy, and (healthy) obsession to detail, I’m thinking this will go far.

I wouldn’t rule out one of your shelters one day. I’ll be following this with continued interest.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That is awesome Dan, congratulations. It wasn’t so long ago when we talked about your new shelters coming to market, that you’ve come this far in such a relatively short time is really great.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks! It’s been a fun project for sure, and only getting moreso now that it’s moved away from Drop and I can innovate even faster on whatever I feel like working on. Pretty happy to get the v2 of the 1P launched recently and the X-Mid Pro coming out on Thursday is pretty amazing. Lots of other new stuff in the works too. I’m looking forward to some other neat stuff this year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools