Topic

Release welded seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Release welded seams

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarah W
    BPL Member

@sarahellen

Hi Everyone,

I would like to add a zippered gusset to the lower leg of my deadbird gamma AR pants so that they more easily fit over my ski boots.  I am confident in my sewing ability and okay with likely voiding the warranty.  However, the bottom hem of the pants is a welded seam.  To do it right I need to release a portion of this welded seam because I would like to pick apart the inseam rather than just cut the fabric.  When I put it back together, I will just stitch the hem.  I don’t think all that much is gained by having a welded hem rather then a stitched hem.  I have had a few deadbird pieces that spontaneously release their welded seams…but these have not done that yet.

My only idea is to try to heat the welding with my iron.  Anyone know if that would work?  Has anyone tried this before?

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I managed to inadvertently release a seam on my Thermarest mat by putting it too close to the tent wood stove but that would have likely been a glued seam. If it really is welded that could be much harder as true weld would melt one layer of fabric into another. Try a hot air gun if you have one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools