Topic

REI Tents: Your favorite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Tents: Your favorite?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

What are the best tents to buy at REI? I have bought most of my tents from TarpTent, MLD and Zpacks. I got a gift card from REI and want to know what BPL Peeps are buying at REI?  Thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Another option is to use it on a Wilderness First Aid course.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Stephen makes a good point but if you really want to know what tent I would buy if I had to get a tent from REI, it would be the MSR Carbon Reflex 1;  29oz includes the tent, poles, stakes, and storage bag.

Or you could go with a 4 season tent if you needed one and go with something like the Mountain Hardwear Direkt.

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

Or, you could get the REI  Quarter Dome 1, roomy for one at 40 inches wide at the head end, freestanding, and 34 0zs if you ditch the steel stakes it comes with.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I took at two NOLS classes last year and really enjoyed them both….

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice one Jay.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

How about a nice car camping tent:

http://www.rei.com/product/827807/rei-kingdom-6-tent

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

They have shoes and socks, eVent rain gear, and sleeping pads too if you aren’t looking for a tent.

Gator Paddler
    BPL Member

@gatorpaddler

I like REI, but like most of the people here, I find myself wanting less and less of their gear. Some of the things I still buy there regularly are clothes, fuel, paddling accessories, freeze-dried food, electrolyte tabs and cook pots/accessories. I got most of my sleeping pads and a half dome 4 (for canoe and car camping) there.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Locale: Virginia

Robert,

I’m actually considering the QD1 for a JMT thru hike. How do you like it? Storm worthy?

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thomas,

I like it enough so far that I take it more often than my Rab Element Solo tarp and trekking pole. But to answer your question I’ve weathered some fairly strong wind gusts and mild rain, but I have not had it out in any full-on sideways driven rainstorms….yet. The fly provides good coverage on all four sides and the inner tent has 12 inch or so solid sidewalls from the ground up before they turn to mesh. No condensation issues yet. Photo shows the inner looking down toward the narrower foot end of the tent. Fly fabric is thin, 15d,  so I wouldn’t be taking it up Denali.  Hope this helps.

Robert

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools