Topic

REI Reintroduces Gore-Tex Line After Decade-Long Absence

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Reintroduces Gore-Tex Line After Decade-Long Absence

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Beginning 2018, REI will end its partnership with eVent Fabrics, which was the membrane used in REI’s outerwear line since 2008. In its place, REI will launch a range of water- and wind-proof shells and pants using Gore-Tex membranes.

For more information:

https://gearjunkie.com/rei-gore-tex-line-replaces-event

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

So look for good prices on the clearance rack for REI eVent products.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Crap!

I really like eVent, and this could be a great opportunity to save some money.  But dang, I’m not in a position to purchase a new eVent rain jacket right now, even one that’s currently on sale for $113.00

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

“According to Ian Eburah, REI’s director of private-label gear and apparel, eVent built quality products, but members still sought the recognition and performance delivered by Gore-Tex.”

Goretex sure spends a lot of money on marketing. At least RAB still uses event. And they’ve been doing it a lot longer than 10 years.

Daniel Kinsella
    BPL Member

@mrunderhill

Jeff, I think that part of what you say is true. Gore-Tex is fairly well known by the average consumer in a way that eVent isn’t. I also think that Gore-Tex’s environmental initiatives line up with REI’s goals as well. That is just a guess though.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’m very curious as to why REI took the gamble to go with eVent in the first place? Possibly cost, with the hope that the superior product would win over customers after they use it?

I talked with Montane last year and they replaced eVent with Gore-Tex on all their higher end shells. I just met with Mountain Hardwear yesterday and learned that they are bringing Gore-Tex back as well, again just for their most expensive pieces. Both told me that it’s because of brand recognition and customer perception.

Rab still uses eVent, but only in a select few shells. For other shells, like the Kinetic  and Kinetic Plus, they have their own proprietary stretch waterproof fabric. It looks like most of their shells are using Pertex+.

Armand C
    BPL Member

@vb242

Sounds like a good time to snap up an eVent REI jacket on clearance.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

eVENT had an edge for awhile with their technology. Gore has now caught up, and has a much more impactive marketing machine…the Gore name is far more recognizable to the general consumer (not necessarily the BPL crowd).

Fortunately, the performance of Gore is pretty good now. Interestingly, we are in need of a pretty dramatic technology step to gain significant increases in performance from here. eVENT accomplished that step several years ago…

Who’s next, and what tech shift will occur?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Neoshell was going to be the next evolution. It really is amazingly breathable stuff. It just doesn’t stay waterproof very long. I’ve cycled through all the various miracle fabrics as they come out, but then reluctantly always return to goretex. It just works predictably the longest.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I think gore caught up with, and surpassed event… not just marketing, real though it is.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools