Topic

REI Quaterdome 3 versus Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Quaterdome 3 versus Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Hello backpackers,

I’m trying to decide between those two tents, the REI Qdome 3 versus the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3.  We need a 3 person tent for my wife, myself, and our 60 pound dog.  We’re usually out for a minimum of 4 or 5 days, on up to 7 days. Most of our backpacking has been in the North Cascades in Washington State, but we’ll likely do some in southwestern Colorado and possibly Nevada.  Last summer we did a 7 day trip in the Wallowas.

The price of the two tents is close enough that I don’t want it to be included in the criteria for deciding.  I tend to keep gear a long time, so if this tent lasts 10 years, it’s a price diff of only $10 per year.

I’m concerned about durability, with the lightweight zippers mainly. Would one of these tents be better in that regard or will durability likely the be the same for both.

I’ve also wondered about the MSR Mutha Hubba because it might offer more durability, but it comes at a price of an additional pound in weight compared to the Copper Spur and about 1/2 pound compared to the REI.

Any and all comments, suggestions are very welcome.  Thanks in advance!

PS We have a Tarptent Rainshadow which is a GREAT tent.  However, we usually camp at or above timberline and condensation is a problem at times.  Also, I like the option of being in a tent with separate fly, so on clear nights we can leave the fly off and look at the stars.  So I’m looking for a double wall, lightweight tent for 3 people

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Why aren’t you considering the Stratospire 2? It fits three, especially if one is a dog and they sell that sidecar now if you want your dog out of the main living space. Plus it pitches as the fly without the need of a footprint or myog straps, and is durable enough not to need a footprint either way. Plus its priced better than the Big Agnes

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’d suggest you look long and hard at the Nemo Dagger 3P over either the REI, BA or MSR. I’m a fan of all three of those, but the use of the little Nemo Hornet 1P opened my eyes to Nemo.

https://www.rei.com/product/880478/nemo-dagger-3p-tent

Take the time to read the Dagger 2P reviews as well… 14 of them. Take special note of what the dog owners have to say.

I’ve used and/or owned the BA Copper Spur UL1 and UL2, the MSR Hubba, and Hubba Hubba. On paper, and based on my Nemo experience last summer, I’d go Nemo Dagger 2P over BA or MSR. I currently own a Hubba Hubba for my wife and I, and it’s going to get changed out to the Dagger 2P.

Would add, the REI and BA tents (I’ll bet BA makes the REI Quarterdome) both have an obnoxious amount of orange. If you have ever spent a lot of tent time in an orange tent, it’s not something I recommend… unsettling. The Nemo’s gentle colors are a much more pleasant way to spend tent time. That may sound like a minor point, but for me and my experience, it’s not.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

thanks for the reminder about tent color!  I also don’t like the orange.  I’ll take a look at Nemo.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

I’ll also look at the Stratospire again.  thanks!

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Brad,

The reviews of the Nemo tent give it tops marks.  But there were concerns about 1) the attachment points for the poles being plastic, and 2) the tent door having a lower profile than the BA Copper Spur.  What’s your opinion about the tent door and how easy it is to get into and out of the tent, compared to the REI and BA?  And how about plastic for attaching the corner poles to the tent, is that something to be concerned about?  Thanks!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

We have an rei Quarter dome 3, and have used it with 2 or 3 people; fully staked down it is roomy enough for 2 plus dog or a cozy three adults. Vestibules are also big enough for a dog plus packs. We’ve only had it two years, with moderate use, so I can’t say how durable it may be over a decade, or with dog toenails. It has held up well to steady strong wind and rain, and we camped in one particularly wet meadow and had only minor condensation with three occupants. It dries quickly. It is a bit “airy” in that most of the inner is mesh, so we need our warm bags most of the time. Overall I’m happy with it, with the weight, easy set up, and space.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Greg … keep in mind that REI is updating their Quarterdome series … not in stores yet … and it appears to be a more subdued red, not orange anymore like the 2016 and earlier models.

https://www.rei.com/product/110841/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-3-tent

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

The there were concerns about 1) the attachment points for the poles being plastic, and 2) the tent door having a lower profile than the BA Copper Spur.  What’s your opinion about the tent door and how easy it is to get into and out of the tent, compared to the REI and BA?  And how about plastic for attaching the corner poles to the tent, is that something to be concerned about?  Thanks!

Plastic attachments have been around for a long time, and I’ve never had an issue with them. It’s not something I’d think twice about.

The door is a tougher call… I haven’t used the tent and really can’t comment intelligently. I will say, last year’s Copper Spur still had the drop down (upside down D shape) door that lays on the floor and gets trampled. But it absolutely is a MUCH bigger opening, which is what the Dagger is being compared to in the online reviews. It seems BA has overcome the criticism of the door design this year with “HV” version of the Copper Spur line. The door is a sideways “D” shape too, but still looks to be a larger opening than the Nemo Dagger, and hangs to the side, unlike the Nemo Dagger.

At the end of the day, you get used to the little compromises all these various designs offer. There is no “perfect” tent, there are just design compromises weighted in one direction or the other. The trick is finding which compromises you can live with compared to the design benefits you can’t live without. Cost/Benefit Ratio so to speak.

Me, I’d not let the door size scare me off. Heck, I use the Nemo Hornet 1P and never even thought about the door size, and it’s small! I guess I’ve used all sorts of tents, starting in the mid 1970’s, and just adapt. Heck, a side entry door, any sized side entry door, is a veritable luxury compared to a 2-man a-frame front entry in 1975!

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Thanks Brad!

Good to hear that you have no concern about the plastic pole attachments.  The door is another issue though, not so much for me but for my wife.  She’s had knee issues that have flared up during a couple of our backpacks, and we think that getting into and out of the tent may aggravate her knees.  So our next step will be to visit the local REI and see if they can set up these tents for us, so we can check out the doors.  I went in recently and looked at the REI Qdome and the BA Copper Spur, but hadn’t gotten your feedback about the Nemo, so I check didn’t it out at the time, but will do on our next visit.

Thanks to Karen, M Compton, and Jeff for your posts as well!

Greg

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

You bet man, happy to add my $.03… let us know what you decide!

Brad

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Okay, I finally got off the dime and ordered the Nemo Dagger 3P from REI today.  It’s back ordered but supposed to ship within 30 days.  I got the 20 percent REI discount that’s available thru April 10, so that knocked $100 off the price. (‘course, our state sales tax added back $32)

Brad, thanks again for suggesting this one, I might not have considered it otherwise.  I narrowed it down to the Nemo versus the REI Quarter Dome 3, and it was close to a toss up. Nemo won out in the end, but I suspect either tent would serve us well.

I’ll report back once I receive the tent and set it up.  And maybe a second report after we have it out in southwestern Colorado in June.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Received the Nemo Dagger 3P a few days ago.  Just set it up this morning in the back yard.  It’s a great little tent.  With one very disappointing feature: The actual floor dimensions are significantly smaller than what was advertised.

The specs state the floor dimensions are 90″ X 70″.

But I’m measuring 84″ X 60″.

That’s quite a difference.

I like the weight, all the mesh at the top, the color, the ease of set up, the dual side doors.  BUT…  60 inches of width instead of the advertised 70 inches is a disappointment.  It will be cramped for my wife, our dog, and me.  I will ponder it a bit, maybe get all of us in the tent and see how it feels.  It’s possible I will decide to return it.   :-(

I’ll let you know what happens.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Regardless of supposed dimensions of the floor, in my opinion, the Copper Spur HV UL3 feels like it has much more actual liveable space with steeper walls and a pitch that’s more easily consistently tight than either the Nemo or REI tent.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Thanks Michael!

I put the Nemo up in the backyard again this morning and put the fly on, so we could test getting into and out of the tent.  With the fly on, it’s a bit more cumbersome getting out of the tent.  But I think all these UL 3 person tents are going to be very similar as far as getting in and out goes.

The pitch on the Nemo seems pretty tight and the head room is sufficient throughout much of the floor space due to its steep walls.  I’m not sure how much steeper the walls are on the Copper Spur HV.  But I’m still a bit concerned about how small the Nemo is.

We’re taking it out for a test drive this afternoon.  Heading up to the Tortolitas in the late afternoon, probably leave the car around 4:30.  We’ll hike in about 3 miles and then set up camp.  It’s dry there, so we’ll be carrying all our water.  Probably won’t cook dinner, but we will cook breakfast, and then head back to the car early in the morning.  We’re doing it this way to avoid the heat of the day.  Our dog overheats due to her black coat and there’s little to no shade in our lowland deserts.

If I decide to take the tent back to REI, I’ll be back to considering the REI and the Big Agnes tents again.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Sorry for revamping an old thread, but I’m hoping for an update on how Greg likes the Nemo.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Please delete.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools