Topic

REI Magma 30 Sleeping Bag Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable REI Magma 30 Sleeping Bag Review

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: REI Magma 30 Sleeping Bag Review

In this REI Magma 30 Sleeping Bag review, Mark Wetherington analyzes its cut, yoke, insulation and quality of construction.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks for a good initial review.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

You’re welcome. I took it out in warmer temperatures this past weekend in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and it was comfortable enough just draped over as a quilt with temperatures in the mid-50s, but would’ve been too warm to be in. On a breezy night with the vestibule doors open and temperatures in the mid-40s it was perfect.

Dennis W
    BPL Member

@denniswaite

Very helpful review . . . has now gone on my “wish list”. Will likely wait until the 20% deals REI typically offers.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Glad you found the review useful, Dennis. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have. Waiting on the 20% off coupon is a good call, it’s a great deal at that price.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Put a few more nights in this sleeping bag last month in Arizona and figured I’d update this thread for the sake of comprehensiveness.

Two nights were in Aravaipa Canyon in temperatures in the mid to low 40s and this is definitely the “sweet spot” of this bag, at least for me. Not much need for baselayers (I took them off after getting too warm the first night and didn’t use them the second) and the fabric used for the lining is soft and comfortable. I didn’t need to totally cinch the hood down, which really allowed the roominess of this bag too be fully enjoyed and really shine. The insulated yoke was did a great job of keeping the heat in and prevent drafts when the temperatures bottomed out near dawn.

Two nights were in the high desert/mountains at Chiricahua National Monument. Temperatures were in the mid to low 30s at night. I was comfortable in a 150 weight baselayer, socks, beanie, and neck gaiter. I did have the hood cinched down and not the bag fully zipped with no opening at the bottom for venting. Both nights were comfortable, it was just a bit harder to will myself out of the bag in the morning than it was during the trip in Aravaipa Canyon.

So, overall, not much to “update” but figured I’d post this here anyways.

Drew H
    Spectator

@drewhbend

Which size stuff sack did you use? the link goes to a page with many options for sizes

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I was interested, too. But, come to find out, there are several versions of this bag when I looked it up. Magma 10-Magma 30, likely in about 10 degree increments. The lower you go the more fill, hence the larger the stuff sack.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools