Topic

REI “did not use the EN or ISO rating on this sleeping bag”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI “did not use the EN or ISO rating on this sleeping bag”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The faded and tattered sleeping bag living in the back of my truck needs replacement. Wanted a cheap, very warm, synthetic bag. Checked REI.com because 20% off sale plus dividend reward.

The REI Co-op Frostbreak 5 Sleeping Bag looked good:
    https://www.rei.com/product/177469/rei-co-op-frostbreak-5-sleeping-bag

But some customers said they slept cold at nowhere near the claimed temperature rating. Not always reliable, who knows what sleeping pad (if any) they used, etc.

Until I read this in the Q&A:

We did not use the EN or ISO rating on this sleeping bag.

So their claimed “Temperature Rating” of “5 degrees (F)” or “-15 degrees (C)” seems pulled out of thin air.

This is the only REI-branded adult mummy bag I could find without a “comfort rating” somewhere in the online specs. Maybe they’ll fix this one soon.

— Rex

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I have quite a few down and a few synthetic bags.  Was just researching the REI magma for a friend, because BPL and others speak highly of the Magma (its down, but my point is the same for synthetics).  Short version:  I’ll second the remark that REI appears to grossly exaggerate temp. ratings of their sleeping bags.   I like to compare fill weights against trusted manufacturers. That is difficult to do with synthetics for a number of reasons.  Obviously the pad insulation is a CRITICAL component especially below 30, and I find a snug fitting internal collar is also key below 30 degrees F.

CS
    Spectator

@covecs

I also find it odd that the rating system is so sparse on data points and arbitrary to begin with. It’s just like two(?) tests that are done for the “average” male and female. There aren’t hundreds of combinations, there’s just a few handfuls of data points needed per bag and it’s done once and covers everyone. Where as the consumers have to figure it out for literally every purchase, which is millions of times.

It could just be a table or a graph with more key data points to go off of and interpolations between key data points, so you see what the expected performance is, and you look up your self in it to see what it’s expected for you. Instead the industry sort of dumped the last mile on the little guy to try and explain to their customers, with the CEO even having to say “we don’t want you to be cold”. So somehow he felt he had to say that amazingly.

YouTube video

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

For members of the buying public, some things are better revealed by experience than by science.  Always had issues with sleeping cold until BPL had a series of reviews of Montbell spiral down bags, so went back to them, and nary a problem since.  The down bags do require more TLC though, and certainly not kept stuffed in a sack.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I can only speak to the REI Magma quilt. Comfort rated for 30f, for me it’s dead accurate. I have not had a bag or quilt this accurate date.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools