Topic

Refillable Propane Stove Fuel, Again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Refillable Propane Stove Fuel, Again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

If you really need to cook or melt snow at temperatures approaching -40 F (-40 C), you might fantasize about running a lightweight backpacking stove on propane. Flame King recently released an interesting product:

Top to bottom, roughly to scale:

• MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe, or any similar stove.
    • Kovea Lightweight LPG Adapter $17, 1.2 ounces (35 g) claimed.
    • Flame King Refillable 3.85 ounce Propane Tank $22, 0.9 oz (26 g) claimed (empty) but that weight seems too low.

This is just an illustrated example that is probably too tippy. Tank and adapter should work on remote canister stoves even without a preheat loop. Might need to prop up the tank to feed gaseous propane.

Won’t melt a lot of snow with 3.85 ounces (109 g) of propane. You could carry more tanks. Flame King also sells refillable “one pound” canisters that weigh a lot more.

They also sell gadgets for refilling this tiny tank from traditional “20 pound” barbecue tanks, as do other vendors that can refill one pound canisters.

Many BPL threads discuss other options. This might be another one. Haven’t used, hope I never will.

— Rex

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Very interesting.   Not the lightest way to go…but might be the cheapest (vs. standard canisters, alcohol or esbit)…assuming you refill from your own bulk tank..   For short trips, this could save some $$$.  Maybe David or Roger will ‘do the math’ for us.  :o

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I feel like that chunk of threaded brass would weigh 26g. I’m skeptical of the weight but maybe the bottle is thin like a soda can?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks the lead, Rex!

I see 8.8 ounces as the item weight on Amazon.  Which seems right.  Generally, it takes a pounds of metal to contain a pound of propane and with that tiny size, a poorer ratio is to be expected.  I just ordered one and will check it out.

It would never the lightest option compared to a 4-ounce 100-gram isobutane canister, but would be good to colder temps and let you use all your other propane devices (lantern, stove, chef torch, plumbing torch) in a light and compact manner, although limited by icing up at high firing rates.

Where it really shines is the very low cost to refill.  For as many BTUs as a $4.99-$5.99 100-gram isobutane canister, you just need to refill that cylinder with 20 cents of propane.  Fuel becomes essentially free.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Just got one…weighs in at 254g (empty).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bummer. Makes sense though.

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

I love the concept of the refillable propane tank but the form factor is way too tippy with a canister mounted stove.  If there was a wide base like the isobutane canisters and a propane version of the pocket rocket (no adapter) I’d be very interested.  For me, white gas still rules in the winter.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi David

What you need is a remote inverted canister stove. They are very low and non-tippy.
    You can use straight propane on most canister stoves, as long as the needle valve is well-behaved and smooth.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools