Topic

Red Lentil Vadouvan Curry Stew (for Duane…and others)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Red Lentil Vadouvan Curry Stew (for Duane…and others)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Like Duane mentioned under one of my other posts, red lentil are much easier to deal with.  This recipe makes great use of them.

Red Lentil Vadouvan Curry Stew

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

But for the fuel required, that is a 5 star recipe for sure, equally worthy of being prepared at home.  I don’t see many Westerners who are familiar with  masur dahl, let alone curry leaves and fenugreek, and both add considerably to the flavor of a dish like this.  For those inclined to backcountry gourmet fare, this is definitely a recipe worthy of your consideration.  If you have a layover day, a way to save considerable fuel is to put the dahl to soak in the morning, preferably in a sunny location.  This is what I used to do when I was still cooking my food on hikes, and it reduced cooking time considerably, around 40%.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Good tips Tom.  Admittedly, my cooking style is a little heavy on fuel and fresh ingredients, but adaptations are possible.  Knowledge that I’ve gained on BPL have allowed me to lower my pack weight enough that I allow myself some cooking luxuries.  FWIW, on my section hike including 6 days of food and 2 liters of water as well as a bear canister I was just under 28 lbs.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Both of these lentil stew recipes could easily be cooked at home and then dried.  I expect the results would be very good.  Rehydration time at the campsite would be very quick.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Both of these lentil stew recipes could easily be cooked at home and then dried.  I expect the results would be very good.  Rehydration time at the campsite would be very quick.”

This sounds to me like an excellent solution to the fuel problem in the field

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools