Topic

Recommendations for flat tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommendations for flat tarp

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ian.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I want to learn how to use a tarp and I hear that a 8×10 flat tarp is a good start. I see the following manufacturers have options. Who else should I consider? Any particular features to include?  Any other thoughts for my new adventure?

I’ll start with sil. Maybe upgrade to CF later.

Oware, MLD, Bearpaw, Simply Light

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

I bought an used Integral Designs Siltarp2 (made by RAB now) a couple of years ago and it has been a great learning tarp for me. I just got a MLD Grace Tarp Duo. Observations:

• Linelocs – didn’t have them on the first tarp. Now that I do have them, I understand how incredibly easy it is with them. They do simplify life. Having said that, I’m glad I had a couple of years to work on my knot tying skills so that, should the locs fail/break/etc., no big deal.
    • Interior hang loops – I consider them an essential, at least one in the center. I can attach my net tent, a light, etc.
    • Exterior pull-out loops – haven’t had them. Bought some of the things from Dutchware to be able to put a pull out anywhere I want, and haven’t found a use for them yet. I’m just going solo under the tarp right now, so expanding space hasn’t been a need

Happy tarping!

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Based on recent posts, I would not buy from Bearpaw.  I purchased an 8×10 from Simply Light Designs, and am very happy with it.  Jared is extremely helpful and easy to work with.  I got mine in silpoly, which I prefer to silnylon.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yama Mountain Gear makes some nice looking tarps. I think he does 8×10.

MLD is known for attention to detail and superior materials.

Move got an SMD 5×9 tarp. I wish I had spent more money and picked up an MLD Monk instead. YMMV.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Check out Oware.  He’s a member on these forums and has a reputation for quality.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools