Topic

Recommendation for 60-80 mile loop or in/back <5h drive from SF

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Recommendation for 60-80 mile loop or in/back <5h drive from SF

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My last day of work is Friday!! There are several things I am doing with my family in the coming month, but I have a 3 or maybe 4 day window next week to get out for a short trip. A month ago my destination would have put me in an area that is likely impacted by the smoke from the Oak fire.

Today I thought I would return to the lost coast and do the full loop, but that area has gotten really popular since the last time I went. All the permits are taken and they don’t do walk-ups?!

I would like no smoke, reasonable temperatures (higher elevations), pretty visas, not to crowded during week, permits are available, and ideally less than 5 hours drive from SF. Any recommendations?

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Emigrant Wilderness, I was there about a week ago, no smoke, plenty of on and off trail opportunities.

Dan K
    BPL Member

@graydan

Another vote for Emigrant Wilderness. Also, Marble Mountain Wilderness should be smoke free, though that will probably be a 6 hour drive.  Dan

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks.  Emigrant is one of the places I was thinking about… but was concerned the smoke might effect that area.  Anyone has favorite routes in emigrant?  I typically and either more north or south in the sierras.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Gianelli Trailhead – to chewing gum lake, then cross-country to  Granite Lake, then to Leopold Lake or connect to Crabtree Trail by traveling south from Granite, then to Long Lake or Buck Lake via Crabtree, then Relief Valley Trail back towards Gianelli. Lots of options out of Gianelli.

I left out of Coyote Meadows trailhead and did a loop traveling towards Whiteside Meadows (south) then to Cooper Pocket, then back to trail head. Water was a bit scarce but there were pools to be found.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools