Topic

Recommendation: 2 Day Hike / Camp Near Visalia, CA December 6 – 8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Recommendation: 2 Day Hike / Camp Near Visalia, CA December 6 – 8

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Chilton
    Spectator

@morning_dew

All,

Maybe you can help me. I will be in Vasalia, CA for work and I’d like to squeeze in a great 2 – 2 1/2 day hike over a weekend. I’ve never even been to California.

Constraints / Requirements / Background

1. I’ll be done working Friday 12/6/19 around 4 – 5 pm and if necessary I’ll be packed and ready to go. I will have to be back in Vasalia, CA late (10 – Midnight) Sunday night (12/8/19).
    2. I’d be willing to drive 3 – 4 hours (or even more if it’s a spectacular opportunity) to reach the loops trailhead.
    3. Mid-Leve Hiker – I can comfortably hike 15 – 16 miles in a day but this would be more than I’d like to cram into a day. I was hoping for a scenic 20 – 26 mile loop, where I’d be willing to sleep in my car or find a hotel near the trailhead on Friday night and start moving early Saturday morning and camp somewhere Saturday night and walk back out Sunday.
    4. I need to keep my gear as light as possible because I will be traveling to CA by air. For 3 season hiking, I hit 9# or less so this shouldn’t be a problem. However, I’m hoping the trail loop (if such a thing exist) must have moderate temperatures (Not hitting freezing or lower at night but in the 30s will be fine). Once I expect temperatures below freezing my whole hiking setup changes (gets a lot heavier) and I have very limited experience hiking/camping in lower than freezing temperatures.
    5. If you do know of a fantastic hike that fits these criteria, if possible could you provide as much information about as possible? Like bugs, water expectations (both precipitation and stream crossings – zero experience with these). I have no problem sleeping under a tarp only but if bugs are at all possible I prefer to carry my netting.
    6. I’m not too worried about cost. Obviously I don’t get an opportunity like this often so I’m not overly concerned about learning I might have to buy some 1-week pass and only use 2 days of it, etc.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

There’s likely to be snow above 5-6000 feet by then.  Look at the Ladybug Trail.  Quite close to Visalia, and allows you to hike up a canyon and enjoy yourself, and the mountains, even in winter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools