Topic

Recommend Non-convertible cargo pants for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend Non-convertible cargo pants for backpacking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi.  I’m looking for recommendations for a 3 season cargo pant that is not convertible (no zip shorts conversion).  The REI Sahara non- convertible version have been near perfect for me for over a decade.  Unfortunately,  for around 2 years REI had only carried the convertible version of the Sahara.

https://www.rei.com/product/202030/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-mens

I want something thin and pretty breathable so it’s both comfortable for 3 seasons in the mountains and thin and breathable enough  to wear as protection even in the desert sun.

1) I prefer something mostly nylon as i find that i can wear nylon for over a week without washing, but polyester gets too stinky and bacteria ridden and causes heat rashes on longer trips for me.

2) It needs zipped or button cargo pockets.  I like carrying in them my inreach, small light, hand sanitizer, and a knife .

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I haven’t checked the fabric, but the Kuhl Silencr cargo pant (or a different Kuhl model) might work for you.

Edit: Just checked and the Silencr is polyester. I think they’re great. However, they might make some other styles in nylon. I used to have a pair from MontBell that I liked, maybe check there.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I thought I just ordered a pair of the REI Sahara pants without zip-off legs, but it turns out it was over two and a half years ago.

John B
    BPL Member

@jnb0216

Locale: western Colorado

I used the REI sahara convertibles for many years.  About 4 years ago, I went with non convertible as I found I just didn’t zip off to shorts that often.  For that time, I have been using Railriders adventure khakis and have found them to be much more durable (and even lighter) than the REI saharas:  https://www.railriders.com/men-adventure-khaki-pant-p-877.html?cPath=90_102

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Eddie Bauer Guide Pro.  If super hot and you must have long pants,  then maybe something else much thinner and baggy. I like much them better than any of the Kuhl versions I have and the Guide pRos have lasted much longer and still look good.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I don’t know what you’re looking for in terms of fabric texture, bit it looks like the trend in hiking pants is toward stretchy fabric and cargo pockets that don’t stick out. I recently picked up a pair like this which feels nice to walk in, but the cargo pocket (only one) is smaller than the huge, fully external pockets I’m wearing right now. I’ve only worn the stretchy pants on one dayhike so far and there is a noticeable difference in freedom of movement. The stretchy cargo pocket had some advantages; lower profile and less bounce. The potential disadvantages I can see are durability and loss of elasticity over time. The stretchy pants felt kind of like sweat-pants; very breathable and nice on the skin. But I wouldn’t want to go off-trail in them.

Bruce M
    Spectator

@va3pinner

Locale: In the shadow of the Shenandoah

Railroaders. I have been using them for years very comfortable and last forever

Brian T
    BPL Member

@cryptobrian

OR Ferossi Cargo Pant – really nice, lightweight pants. Really like these in warmer weather. Nice stretch, generous pockets. Drawcord in cuff.

Prana Stretch Zion – also nice. Heavier material that I don’t find vents well. But really nice stretch, very comfortable. You can roll up the cuffs and snap in place – helps in warmer weather. These are probably my go to all-around pair of pants.

Outdoor Vitals Satu Adventure Pants – The material is Ok, but not my favorite. Has a sheen, texture, and fall that has a feel of a cheap rayon suit. That aside, great features and in particular, side vents. Zippers on the outside of your legs from about knee up to the hip, with a mesh interior. Unzip them and the heat just dumps out. Love this feature.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Railriders with side zip mesh vents.  Incredibly versatile.
    https://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I prefer to keep the weight of my pants low when I can.  I usually go for loose, blousy running or wind pants.  Elastic waist, no pockets, 2 ounce per square yard or less fabric.  They typically weigh about 5 ounces instead of about 10 ounces for the heavier pants. even though I usually buy an XL size for my medium body.

In the past there were a lot of these in the 2nd hand stores.  Haven’t bought any recently.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools