Topic

Recommend me a technical "tweener" shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend me a technical "tweener" shell

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

Hi folks –

I’m looking for a technical shell in between my Marmot 3L GTX Active and my Arcteryx Squamish. Lighter but not as waterproof as the GTX; more durable/full featured than the Squamish. Jacket will be used for backpacking (and bushwhacking) and to ward off weather in camp.

Parameters:

• Around 10oz ( will consider 12oz if its truly full featured)
    • Durable outer fabric
    • Full featured hood
    • Light/medium rain protection (won’t immediately wet out)
    • Packable (ie not a soft shell)
    • Hand pockets (preferred)
    • < $250
    • *** Exttra bonus for pit zips!! ***

The Arcteryx Beta LT looked close to perfect…. BUT the price.

Would appreciate any user experiences or recommendations.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

two recommendations (what i use as that intermediate layer between)

patagonia stretch rainshadow – $199 (got mine on sale for $110) – 10.4oz (M), 2.5L 30D STRETCH nylon (very comfy). pit zips, watertight zips (main, 2 hand, 1 chest).

rab kinetic plus – $225 (sale for $175) – 10.8oz (L), 3L polyester (not nylon) with breathable membrane (10k/35k). vislon aquaguard main zip, aquaguard hand zips. hood has volume adjustment, opening is stretchy.

kinetic is technically a softshell (poly inner and face fabric instead of nylon), but barely heavier, a little slimmer, and more comfortable (fabric is softer and stretchier). used to use the rainshadow, but kinetic is not the go-to for hiking/mtb/climbing approach…plenty durable unless i’m actually climbing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools