Topic

Recommend me a sleeping pad please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend me a sleeping pad please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bryan D
    BPL Member

@laketex

Still gearing up for a spring trip.  I’ve been buying on the gear swap, and have tent, sleeping bags, backpacks, and cook system covered.  I have a small ridgerest for my daughter, but I need a pad for me.  Currently, I have a 15 year old 3/4 length thermarest.  I can pack with that, or I can see what else is out there.  I have a 20 degree EE Revolution on order that I’ll be using on top of this mat.  I’m 6’3″, and prefer full length and light weight.  What do I need to be looking at?

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

What temps are you likely going to be sleeping in? That is going to guide your decision. Based on the 20* rating of your bag, maybe the Exped Synmat UL 7?

Bryan D
    BPL Member

@laketex

I’m just a cold sleeper.  Doubt I’d ever be out in temps under 30 degrees.  I’d say usually between 30 and 80 to start out.  I went with the quilt mainly for versatility since I can just use it as a blanket in warm temps, and then cinch it up when it’s colder.  Maybe down the road, I’ll want to get into cold weather camping, but it’s just not where I’m at right now.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mostly, it will depend on how you sleep. Some are comfortable with a 1/4″ CCF pad. Others want a thicker pad around 2-3″.

For most general use at the temps you describe, I would recommend a NeoAir XLite for ground and platform camping above freezing. But, what you gain in comfort, you loose on durability. These can be punctured.

Second best is a CCF Nunatak Luna. It is three quarters of an inch, rather than 3/8″ or 1/2″ and doesn’t weigh anymore if you sleep on softer duff or on hard platforms but are a back sleeper, mostly.

Third would be Zlite if you always sleep on softer duff. It gets a bit uncomfortable on platforms or hard surfaces, though.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

realistically the neo air xlite/xtherm is the most weight efficient and packable choice for air pads for their R value

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews

a warning when going from the thermarest prolite (or any other thinner pads) to the neo airs

make sure your shoulders fit comfortably on the pad if yr a back sleeper … with the thinner pads your shoulders can hang a bit over and you may not be too uncomfortable, with the neo airs because of the greater height this may not feel that good

especially with the tapered and horizontally baffled pads you loose a bit more practical width as compared to rectangular and flat or vertically baffled pads

also make sure ANY air pad you buy has a stellar warranty … failures are not uncommon

fortunately cascade designs is known for dealing well with warranty issues …

buying it from a retailer with a no questions asked unlimited warranty also helps (LL Bean, MEC)

;)

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

When you say you prefer a full length pad, the standard 72 inch long pad will still be shorter than your full height. Most long pads are 77 or 78 inches long if you want full coverage.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I use a large Xlite above freezing and the rectangular Xtherm Max once the ground is frozen. For your size and needs, the new large rectangular Xlite Max SV would work if you find it comfortable (and light) enough. Some don’t like the horizontal baffles and crinkly sound, but I personally don’t mind.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite-max-sv/product

Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

I recently purchased one of the xlite sv’s, and I have a warning. Once you played with inflation technique, yes it was faster, though only if you were really precise about distance you were blowing from. The real problem I ran into was the seal on the neck. The first night out I gradually lost air and had to re-roll it twice to get a proper seal. The second night I never managed to get a seal and had to reinflate it at least 4 times. I took it back the next day. I got a sea 2 summit insulated ultralight instead. I did a trial run on my back patio last night in combo with a 1/8″ ccf pad and am pretty pleased. I would be wary of the sv xlite. It is a lot fussier and more problem-prone than the original versions.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Even though the store is closed, Prolite Gear still has their gear review videos up (which I’ve always thought were thorough):

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/best-lightweight-sleeping-pads.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools