Topic

Recommend Hard carry case for Tenkara

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Recommend Hard carry case for Tenkara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Magnes
    BPL Member

@gmagnes

Locale: Southeast US

Looking for a light weight, hard sided carrying tube for my new Tenkara rod.  Can anyone recommend some options?

thanks,

Gerry

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Though you’ll possibly have to fashion the end caps depending on your taste, if you want something very cheap and very light try your local hardware store for a fluorescent tube guard and cut it to length:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-Fluorescent-Tube-Protector-TGT8CL4-R24/100163152

And this thread:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104459/

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Those fluorescent tube guards that Craig linked are quite light.  I’d use them for some added stiffness and to prevent snagging for a pole set in a side pocket or within the main pack bag.

Slightly heavier, but still much lighter than, say, ABS pipe, would be the corrugated plastic tubes inside of a large rolls of paper (like the printer-plotter at an architect’s or engineer’s office).  They’re kind of like the plastic advertising/campaign signs in being plastic (polystyrene?) inside and out with ribs between the inside and out that make them remarkably stiff for their weight.  2 to 2.5 inches in diameter, a tenkara rod set would fit inside easily.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Do you really need a case? When collapsed the delicate bendy parts are safe and the handle part seems plenty durable. I’ve always carried mine this way either inside my backpack or sometimes in an exterior pocket. No problems after 3 years and dozens of trips.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Do you really need a case? When collapsed the delicate bendy parts are safe and the handle part seems plenty durable. I’ve always carried mine this way either inside my backpack or sometimes in an exterior pocket. No problems after 3 years and dozens of trips.

Same here, I don’t use one.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Use a case.

Tube protectors come with end caps

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

How ’bout Tenkara’s hard case?

Russ Bogardus
    BPL Member

@bogardus

Locale: Colorado Springs

http://Www.tenkarabun.com sells lightweight plastic cases in 3 different sizes. Lengths Are adjustable by owner. Work great.

Cheers,

Russ

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I’ll second Russ’ recommendation for the adjustable plastic tubes on Tenkarabum’s website.  In theory, Tenkara rods are self-protected by design, but as they say, poop happens.  I can get two rods in one of these cases, or one rod with a long line keeper installed.  It’s cheap peace of mind for a pricey investment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools