Topic

Recommend a good, light Xlarge windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend a good, light Xlarge windshirt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    William Breshears
    Spectator

@rightwing66

Locale: (null)

As I am unlikely to lose a  lot of weight before I start hiking again, can anyone recommend a good XLarge windshirt?  Many of the ones I have seen seem to stop at “atheletic”.  :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Patagonia Houdini

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have not tried many different wind shirts, however I have had an Houdini and did not particularly care for the fit or the full zip. I now have a Montbell Tachyon anorak and love it.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m a plus sized hiker and kick it one time old school in the Arc’teryx Squamish.  There are lighter options but ounce for ounce, it’s one of the more useful pieces of thermo regulating gear I own, and second only to my beloved Buff.

You can try on a Houdini at a local REI but Patagonia is under the impression that there aren’t any Shrek sized hikers (speaking for myself) so keep your expectations low.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I have the large houdini and like it, except that I can’t zip it fully closed past my chin. The wind jacket that I’ve been using lately is heavier than most and weighs a little over 8 ozs, but only cost me a little over $20. It’s a Pro Tour golf wind jacket with hood and hand pockets.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I’ve had a zpacks windshell for over 1200 miles and although it’s not cheap I can say I used it a lot and it still looks like new, performs perfectly and it comes in an xl that is 48-50 inches measured in the chest. Two ounces is hard to beat.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Don’t be afraid to just size up if you find a good model that is a trim fit. Biking clothing is totally a size or more too small and much running gear is too. The hook-and-bullet brands like Cabela’s tend to go the other way.

+1 on lots of good wind jackets that are a bit heavier. The Brooks LSD line is quite good.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

My fave in this department is the Montbell Dynamo.

I’ve got one I use regularly, another new one as back-up and am thinking about ordering another 1 or 2 in case they decide to quit making them.

For me, juuuuussst the right amount of wind blocking and breathability to cover a wide range of temperatures when mixed and matched with other layers.

They’re sized with layering in mind, so the medium size I normally wear works fine… I can even layer under it a polyester zip T (OR Echo) and a Montbell xlite down jacket and it isn’t too tight.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Pre 2012 Patagonia Houdini or Arcteryx Squamish, pre 2014 has a higher HH IIRC.  Went from the Houdini to the Squamish, small Squamish is 1.5 oz heavier than a medium Houdini.  Houdini cuffs are a bit big, hood is floppy if you’re not wearing a hat and the torso is baggy.

Search Richard Nisley’s post on windshirts for all you need to know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools