Topic

Recommend a Day Zero at Basecamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Recommend a Day Zero at Basecamp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

For those who are planning to attend Philmont in 2018 I highly recommend a day Zero in basecamp. We found out at PASS training that Philmont for a reasonable fee will allow troops to arrive a day early. Our trek was supposed to arrive on 7/26 and start the outbound process. We checked in on 7/25 after flying from BWI to Denver and driving rental vans to Philmont. This allowed us to be assigned a ranger early on day 1 and quickly go through the outbound process. For us the outbound process was great. For other crews arriving in the afternoon it appeared very rushed.

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

+1
    We did this — it is called Early Arrival — the cost is $10 per person for a tent in tent city and $6 per meal. We really liked it. We got started with our Ranger 1st thing in the morning and were done pretty early in the day.

We really liked it. Though, I did talk to 1 crew that stayed at an NRA facility nearby and that sounded pretty awesome.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

+2

You will need a reservation for early arrival.  Room in the inbound wall tents will depend upon availability.  You may wish to make the short drive into Cimarron for a meal instead of eating in the cafeteria.

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

In 2016 my crew and I stayed at the NRA Whittington Center and loved it…Shot skeet that afternoon, went to the museum and just hung out and decompressed watching TV.  We stay in what’s called the  “competitors barracks”  Total cost per person was around $30 each.

2018 we’ll do what you are talking…base camp a day early…It’ll let the boys that haven’t been to check out base and maybe calm some nerves.  I like the early treks, before Philmont is at 100%, staff is fresh and happy…some of the camp fires are lacking since they haven’t developed there show completely….still worth it though!

I’m ready for trek #4!

John O
    BPL Member

@outcast6

Jeff,

Our crew is travelling from Northern Virginia, most likely out of Dulles.

What were the mechanics of driving rental vans from Denver to PSR and back?  Was the rental during trek a sunk cost?  Or is there an opportunity to one-way rent from either direction?

I appreciate your feedback in advance.

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

Never heard of a one way rental…..Philmont has shuttles from Raton and Colorado Springs…not sure about Denver.  (I can drive there in less that 10 hours so I don’t have much knowledge on this)

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

John O, the van sat in the basecamp parking lot while we were on the trail. For us the total cost of renting the vans and arriving a day early was still cheaper than a commercial shuttle from Denver. The van also gave us a place to store our non backcountry gear while we were on the trek. Philmont does supply lockers but they are not very big.

John O
    BPL Member

@outcast6

Thanks Jeff.

I hadn’t been that far into planning the cost analysis. Intuitively, you wouldn’t think it would be that much but as we get closer to getting onto the trail, we’ll consider it as a viable option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools