Topic

Recomendations for dedicated audiobook/music player for long distance thru hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recomendations for dedicated audiobook/music player for long distance thru hikes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

For thru hikes I like to avoid using my phone as much as possible, so I carry separate music/audiobook player.  The problem with the one I have, a SanDisk Clip Sport, is that the chapters in my AudioBooks get all jumbled, its old and dying (1000+ miles of abuse), and it doesn’t support Audible natively.

Requirements:

1. Should last roughly 20 hours (or about 5 days of use), I’d like to keep my battery pack small.
    2. Preferably light, only a few ounces.
    3. Great Audible support.

Do you guys have a favorite?

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

Would an Apple iPod Touch meet your needs?  3.1 ounces.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

The iPod is only 3.1 ounces???  That lighter than I thought.  It looks massive.  I wish they had something like the Nano still…that might be more like what I’m look for.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

You can get nanos used. Still trading one screen for another. Why not use your phone?

Justin Lafrance
    BPL Member

@argon

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I recently bought a SanDisk mp3 player after looking for something lighter/better. There really hasn’t been much innovation in dedicated mp3 players in the last decade.

I don’t have any problem with Audible content – just convert it to mp3 then access it through the folder view.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

I don’t use my phone on longer hikes cause my phone battery  is reserved for more critical apps, so I like to keep its screen off as much as possible.  Also I hate digging it out of my pocket to change songs…the MP3 player is stuck on my shirt.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

The Sandisk Clip was a decent player back ‘in the day’.  They have various capacity players that are light and have a clip. That might be a good choice.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I won’t recommend what to use (I use my iPhone to listen to Audible books), but I will suggest that you don’t try to use an Apple Watch for Audible.  My wife and I were on vacation this summer and I thought it might be nice to be able to listen to my books without having to take my phone to the pools.  At best, it’s cumbersome to transfer books to the watch and it kept losing track of where I was.  I gave up after a frustrating day of trying to make it work.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

As with Justin, mp3s played through the folder view. If the chapters are playing in the wrong order, edith the metadata.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Apologies, I was misremembering. Playing through folder view brings up the chapters in the wrong order for me, but SD card>Books pays them in the right order.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools