Topic

Ray-way shell pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ray-way shell pants

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I made a pair of Ray-way shell pants. I made their largest size, 2XL. I’m short, have fat thighs, and want to be able to wear them over cargo shorts if need-be. I mostly wanted a project because I’m going stir-crazy with the pandemic and working from home.

I think they came out well. 2.4oz, same as the size L EE windpants I bought from the Gear Swap. They’re pretty much the same size as them as well. They could have weighed less if I had made the waist a little lower and hemmed the length a little shorter.

Ray-way shell pants

A decent option for myog people who want affordable windpants.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Are those sil-nylon or just regular fabric?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Nice! Which fabric?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

It’s nylon ripstop of some sort but it is not silnylon. They’re not waterproof. I wore them today on a hike. They were a bit too big, but that’s what I get for ordering the 2XL. Otherwise, it was a hot day so they were not needed for warmth. I was wearing leggings and little plant stickers were getting stuck in them and ruining my leggings. So the windpants were handy for putting a stop to that. And also ticks had a hard time holding on to the nylon.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Outstanding Diane!!!!!!!  They really do look great.

I think you’ve insired me to make my own windpants to wear over shorts when needed, instead of my pants w/zip-off legs.

I recently made my own (lighter – yay!) knock-off of the MacPac Nitro in Polartec Alpha, so you post is making me even more inspired.

Elizabeth R
    BPL Member

@wildriceeliz

Thanks Diane!  I ordered the same size and waiting for it to arrive!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools